Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Contax/Kiev shutter Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Contax/Kiev shutter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Dragunov
Tinkerer
Username: Dragunov

Post Number: 96

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2008 - 09:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

so, I finally got that $20 (not 11) Kiev from Keh.com (finally because I put the order in in early June! arrgh!) and got to cracking it open today. now that the shutter is out, the bafflement begins. shutter release is creepy (sorry for firearms terminology), changing speeds is really stiff, slow speeds are too slow, and 'B' results in a slow open followed by a sloooow close. any tips on shutter overhauls? how do I get the slow speeds out so I can clean them? do I really need to ultrasonically clean everything?(maybe no, but it sounds like a good idea anyways)

and I finally got that ME super fixed today. yay.

cheers,
Dragunov

Msiegel
Tinkerer
Username: Msiegel

Post Number: 43

Posted on Monday, September 15, 2008 - 03:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You might want to have a look at this site (if you don't it already)
http://www3.telus.net/public/rpnchbck/
Refers to Kiev 4

Dragunov
Tinkerer

Post Number: 97

Posted on Monday, September 15, 2008 - 09:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

seen it... that's how I cracked it open, actually.

to be precise, I need instructions for further disassembly of the shutter. IIRC it says in Rick's article about the shutter and how it functions that the shutter is modular. well, if it is, it sure isn't obvious.

oh, and where is my 1 second setting? (involves the self timer, but I don't know any more than that)

Dirbel
Tinkerer
Username: Dirbel

Post Number: 6

Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2008 - 11:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To get 1 second, set the shutter to 'B' and wind the self timer.
If you look at the shutter module from behind, the slow speed timer is on the lower right of the shutter module. No need for further disassembly if you just want to clean it.

ciao,

Dirk

Dragunov
Tinkerer

Post Number: 98

Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2008 - 08:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

uhh... doesn't seem like it. I want to get it out so I can completely clean it. some of the wind gears look clean, but underneath are really gummed up (as to be expected in a 44 year old camera). i'd expect the slow speed escapement to be similar... and hey, better to be safe.

about B... is it slow open and slow close, or is it snappy? mine takes its time...

and how do you get the film advance sprocket out? I removed a bunch of things, but haven't figured it out yet.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 678

Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2008 - 09:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Slow speeds and B run S L O W in that shutter. When I got my first one I assumed something was wrong with it, but that is normal behavior in the Contax/Kiev.

Dirbel's description of the 1 second speed is correct: set to B, release with the self timer.

Why do you want to remove the film sprocket?

Dragunov
Tinkerer

Post Number: 100

Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 - 08:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

well, my slow speeds are S L O W E R. the 1/2 setting is like 2 seconds. and B upon closing moves slowly for 1/3 of the frame, than snaps to a shut. huh.

well, I found out how to remove the metal plate in front of the shutter, so I don't need to anymore. but I DO need to know the best way to clean or remove the slow speed(s) from there. take 'em out or leave 'em in? from what I've seen, old soviet grease is not good 44 years later, so the oil must be poor too.

anyone?

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 680

Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 04:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If it's just the escapement gummed up, it's located on the right side of the shutter crate; you should be able to clean it up with lighter fluid even with the shutter still in place, by removing the film gate casting. You might find some rust to clean up too, or there might be something else going on.

Dragunov
Tinkerer

Post Number: 101

Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 - 09:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

well, I did remove the ...thing... it looks prettier now. no rust, no dust and not much otherwise. so I think the grease is gummed up.

so, do I just apply liberal amounts of lighter fluid, cycle it some more and...?

thanks!

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 423

Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 03:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just keep flushing out until the thing is clean. I flush out onto a sheet of filter/blotting paper, held in a rectangular funnel. This allows one to see when all the crap is dislodged, also it allows me to recycle the solvent for other less critical cleaning jobs. Not a big deal I know, but the reclaimed solvent is very useful for the initial flush on really dirty equipment.

Where immersion is possible, I find that a small ultrasonic cleaning bath very useful for shifting old grease and congealed oil.

Dragunov
Tinkerer

Post Number: 102

Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 08:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

but since it's still in the shutter... how do I lube it? (that's necessary, right?)

thanks

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration