Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Nikon F mirror action disorder Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Nikon F mirror action disorder « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ronny
Tinkerer
Username: Ronny

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, September 15, 2008 - 06:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Nikon F which I am trying to restore to working order and the mirror does not return all the down to latch when the shutter is fired. The F parts & repair manual suggests that this might be caused by the main return spring being out of adjustment. The function of this spring appears to be compound in that after the shutter is wound and the spring is held under tension, when the shutter is fired the spring is released raising the mirror then when the tension on the front half of the spring is released the rear half, still under some tension, acts on a pivot to return the mirror to the latched position, except in this case it does not go far enough down to re-latch. The manual gives the proper spring tension as between 600 and 610 grams but as I do not have a proper instrument to check this I hung a coffee can from the lever on fishing line and added small steel washers to it until the lever moved forward, then re-weighed the can but I get inconsistent results. Does anyone know of a more reliable way to do this or perhaps another reason for this particular problem? Thank you. Ronny
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

M_currie
Tinkerer
Username: M_currie

Post Number: 133

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, September 15, 2008 - 09:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How about a digital fish scale?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration