Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Kodak Easyshare Problem Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Kodak Easyshare Problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Traffic
Tinkerer
Username: Traffic

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 06:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am looking for help on repairing a easyshare. The lens will not extend due to somebody dropping it. I could have it repaired but it would cost more than the camera! They were going to thgrow it away so I thought I give it a try.How do you find prints or any info. Kodak would not help!! It came with the docking station and that works fine. This setup is almost brand new. I fix things for a hobby,computers, ipods and whatever I can help freinds with.Any help would be great. I am into digital cameras so this site would be a plus.

Thanks Traffic

Mikel
Tinkerer
Username: Mikel

Post Number: 106

Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 06:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's very difficult to find any help for fixing a digital camera. The manufacturers consider them disposable. They do not make repair manuals or repair info available. Kodak does not.

As this forum is oriented to classic camera repair, it is unlikely that any of us here have the knowledge to help.

Take the advice of one of our moderators and just buy another camera.

Mike

Traffic
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 07:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I did not notice just classic.Looking for any advice to repair for somebody. In respect to the comment about buying a camera I presently have a Canon SLR and a very nice point and shoot for my wife. I also have old cameras that have been in my family that I was going to discuss. Before you pass judgement I think you should have the facts.How do you expect a new person to join in when you thing you are going to tell me my hobbies.I guess this was not the site that I thought it was. Is everybody like Mike?

Traffic

Mndean
Tinkerer
Username: Mndean

Post Number: 84

Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 07:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Trafic,
I hate to be unkind, but Mikel's right. I have had two digital cameras go belly-up on me out of warranty and was given repair prices that made me think better of trying to fix either of them. I will not get a digital for love or money now. Most are considered consumer electronics and so have few ways of repair and are considered much like Brownies i.e. you break it, you buy another. Brownies are more repairable, in fact. If you want, you can try it on your own as an experiment into how they're built and maybe you'll stumble onto a repair.

If someone here can help you I will be amazed, though most of us here do have digitals (I'm an exception due to my poor experience with them). It's exceedingly rare that we discuss them here, and repair advice is never given in the forum. It's just the way things are here, and I've respected that the forum was for film cameras only, and never asked about repairing my digitals (frankly I want to drop each from the top of a high building or bridge on a deserted evening and watch the debris scatter - it'll be almost $1000 worth of entertainment, but I'll be satisfied to see them destroyed).

Charlie
Tinkerer
Username: Charlie

Post Number: 177

Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 06:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In fact, they probably are repairable and if you send them back to the manufacturer, they will probably send you someone else's camera that they repaired, fix your's, and send it on to the next person. If it's out of warantee they would probably charge more than the camera is worth. See this site http://stores.ebay.com/Kodak-Outlet for Kodak refurbished cameras. So, some are worth fixing.

Charlie
Tinkerer
Username: Charlie

Post Number: 178

Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 06:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you find you need parts, EBay has a section where they sell digital cameras for parts or repair. However they may all be suffering from the same problem as yours. If you scroll down here you will find the link to digital parts cameras - http://photography.shop.ebay.com/Cameras-Photo__W0QQ_sacatZ625. Good luck.

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 424

Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 07:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Traffic,

This is the most friendly and knowledgeable repair forum on the internet, but - and this is important - we repair and collect cameras with mechanical shutters and very little in the way of electronic gadgets/black boxes. Although these are loosely titled 'Classics', their main attribute is that they are mostly metal - held together with screws. Thus like classic cars and bikes, they can be repaired time and time again using simple tools.

If you want to repair your plastic digital, you will have to do what any of us would do in the circumstances - try and figure how the little bastard opens up and have a go. As the broken camera is junk in its present form we have lost nothing in trying, if the blighter collapses into a heap of bits - bin it!

There is one accessory that will prevent your replacement plastic wonder joining its predecessor, the humble neck strap. An item that sees little use with certain classes of cameras these days.

Traffic
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 10:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Everbody That Helped

Well you have to find out the hard way.You alwasys learn from every experience. That camera found a home in the trash can.Thanks Charlie for the sites. I checked them out and will be able to use in the future. I have some old cameras that I have not used in a while.I think I will check them out.One of those cameras is a Nikon fm that took great pics. Well thanks for the intro to the forum.It has been interesting needlesss to say.

Traffic

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration