Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Lubricate a focusing ring. Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Lubricate a focusing ring. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Juan_b
Tinkerer
Username: Juan_b

Post Number: 9

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 10:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've tried to lubricate the helicoil for several focusing rins of Nikon, Lieca or Minolta lenses, but I never found a good touch.
I ever dissamble the barrel, clear the two helicoils and lube they with lubes bought in micro-tools (nyogel, for example) but the focusing "touch" isn't good.
What lube can I use?

Brianshaw
Tinkerer
Username: Brianshaw

Post Number: 38

Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 10:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You need to use damping grease. Look at the microtools site again. They have damping grease in various "thicknesses" to give different feels to the focussing

Juan_b
Tinkerer
Username: Juan_b

Post Number: 10

Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 12:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Brianshaw, I bought this one: http://www.micro-tools.com/store/item_detail.aspx?ItemCode=HG-30
and this one: http://www.micro-tools.com/store/item_detail.aspx?ItemCode=767A

but I donīt found the right tackiness.

Last week I tried to clean and lube an Elmar 50 with the first type and the fucusing ring is very hard.

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 425

Posted on Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 08:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Unless you are prepared to spend money in buying all the grades of damping grease offered by Micro-tools, forget these products and use a normal synthetic grease. Search the archive, you will find many examples of peoples favorites. Remember that helicals of differing lengths and diameters will exhibit differing resistances to a particular grease, so you will need to experiment.

I use a simple silicon grease sold for lubricating the 'O' rings of push fit soil pipe fittings. However you should note that whatever grease you use, how you pack the helical is the most important factor that influences 'feel'. Too much, the focus will be stiff, too little and the focus will be slack, no matter which grease is used.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration