Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Sound sounds strange when Closing (Le... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Sound sounds strange when Closing (Leica IIIB) « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kkl122002
Tinkerer
Username: Kkl122002

Post Number: 56

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 05:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you for all who have helped me a lot in this place. I successfully removed the smell of valve oil by using lighter fluid. However, the second problem comes. I can hear a strange mechanical sound when the shutter curtain is closing. I does not have this.
Can anyone tell me why it comes and how to solve it? Thank you.

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 427

Posted on Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 07:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the shutter mechanism now running completely dry? Was this sound present before you cleaned out the valve oil? You will have to try and describe the sound you now hear. You should also remember that a camera that has been lubricated with an unsuitably thick oil, will have the normal operating sound of the shutter mechanism dampened. So you may now be just hearing the normal sound of the shutter gearing if it has been relubed correctly. I do not have a 111B to play about with, so cannot give you any more pointers.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 681

Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 04:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There may be a light buzzing sound of the gears returning to their original position after the shutter closes, particularly at the slower speeds. Later models, I think from IIIC on, had a silent gear return clutch, but if this gets sticky you can hear the sound in those too. I believe in the IIIb and earlier the buzzing is normal.

Kkl122002
Tinkerer

Post Number: 57

Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 05:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The original sound is 'Chop' when the curtain is closing, but now it is 'ze-chop'. 'Ze-' sound comes out. It is noticeable when I am using 1/30 and slower. I believe when I was cleaning the vale oil with lighter fluid, I have also removed some old lubricant of the shutter curtain.
IIIB's design is similar to IIIA which Rick has mentioned in his website.

Glenn
Tinkerer

Post Number: 429

Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 07:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I suspect that the sound you are hearing is the slow speed gear chain.If the gears had been covered in thick oil, then as I stated above, the sound may have been dampened. Your cleaning may have removed some oil and dirt, hence the train will be noisier.

I rarely oil the gearwheels in the slow speed train, the oil only attracts dirt and debris. I oil the pivots and occasionally just a trace of a dry film lube on the gearwheels.

I cannot advise you on the path you should now take. If I actually operated the camera, I would be able to tell if the the camera sounded 'distressed'. Only then would I be able to say 'use as is' or 'relube properly'. However, although my Leicas have worked faultlessly for years lubed in this way, they are all later models - 111G and M models. I will let a 111B expert give you the definitive answer.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer

Post Number: 683

Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 09:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My IIIa is not doing that, so I think you've got a sticky clutch in the slow speed escapement. I don't have any notes on the IIIa/IIIb escapement details, but in the prewar IIIc, the largest gear in the center of the escapement assembly has a one-way clutch inside it so that the levers can move backwards to return to rest without driving the escapement with them. I think the IIIa and b may be a similar design. If that clutch gets sticky, as the levers return to rest they drag the starwheel and pallet along with them which slows them down and makes the buzzing sound. You may be able to just clean the escapement assembly again... be aware though that when you flood it this will get solvent inside it, which will take a long time to dry out. Its behavior may be different when it's wet than when it's dry.

Digitalcameras
Tinkerer
Username: Digitalcameras

Post Number: 1

Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 06:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello all the camera users if you need clarifications and maintenance tips about cameras please visit our site http://www.testseek.com/cameras-c-114.html

Glenn
Tinkerer

Post Number: 433

Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 01:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, but I don't think so!

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer

Post Number: 684

Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 04:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

He must have misread the name and thought he was joining the Cheap Digital Qrapmongering Forum.

Kkl122002
Tinkerer

Post Number: 58

Posted on Saturday, September 27, 2008 - 07:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I will try to remove the slow speed mechanism and try to operate at 1/30 in the following days. I will report the result later. Thank you.
The design of IIIB is similar to IIIa except the RF. The RF is using IIIc's design. I am interested with IIIc's slow speed mechanism. The slow speed setting arrangement is strange compared with IIIB.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer

Post Number: 687

Posted on Saturday, September 27, 2008 - 08:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There are two different systems in the IIIC: the "platform" model before the war had the clutch system I described above, which I think is similar to the IIIA and IIIB. The postwar IIIC and the IIIF had a different system where a lever disengaged the escapement pallet when the shutter closed.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration