Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Camera + sand = HELP!! =/ Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Camera + sand = HELP!! =/ « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ashley_kate
Tinkerer
Username: Ashley_kate

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 03:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i just went to the beach and took my camera along with me. i have done this many times before. but today when i took the camera out of my bag, the screen was scratched and so is the front. i also think there may be some sand in the lens because it keeps opening and closing. is there any thing i can do about this because my camera is fairly new. it is an olympus fe-230 in silver. CAN ANY ONE HELP ME??

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 428

Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 07:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Forget about the cosmetic scratches, you will only make matters worse if you try and polish them out. Sand penetration into the mechanism/interior will require the services of a repairman, to clean it out. Your best bet will be to get a quote from the official Olympus service agent.

If I might offer a piece of advice. Get into the habit of putting your camera into a sealed plastic bag, when visiting the beach. This can save one an awful lot of anguish, when carrying consumer digital cameras to the beach. The construction of these cameras, just begs for a piece of grit to gum up the works.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 682

Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 08:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'll go a little further yet: don't take the camera to the beach unless you're okay with replacing the camera. I have handled cameras very carefully at the beach, and upon disassembling them back at home found that sand had blown into places that I would have sworn were well protected. I'm sure there is sand in there still, even after disassembly and cleaning, because (virtually) no camera is worth the amount of work it takes to disassemble down to every single place that a sand grain could go.

There are some waterproof digitals that would be a good choice for beach use, and of course there are the underwater disposable 35mms. Other than those, cameras really are not compatible with beaches.

Charlie
Tinkerer
Username: Charlie

Post Number: 179

Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 06:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently got a Konica "off road" P&S camera on EBay. It has a scratch resistant crystal covering the lens and focussing mechanism and is supposed to be splah and dust proof (but not an underwater housing). I have yet to put it to the test.

Mikel
Tinkerer
Username: Mikel

Post Number: 107

Rating: 
Votes: 1 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 07:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Any consumer grade camera which goes to the beach is most of the way to a viking funeral.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration