Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Zeiss Ikonta 520 Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Zeiss Ikonta 520 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Spottymaldoon
Tinkerer
Username: Spottymaldoon

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 04:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good day!

I am trying to restore a 1933 Ikonta 520 and I am having a devil of a time removing the second Tessar lens element (from the front). I used the shanks of two 1mm drill bits as 'teeth' in the two holes on that lens's mount but the force I seem to need makes me think that this element doesn't unscrew from the front. Please see the picture:

http://richardleveson.com/IMG_0584.JPG

I have dinged up the lens mount a bit in my efforts and don't want to make things any worse.

My second question is, where there is actual leather MISSING (small chips) from the cladding, is there a latex compound that can be applied, which will dye black and match the surrounding leather? Please see the worst spot here:

http://richardleveson.com/IMG_0550.JPG

Your advice will be much appreciated.
Spotty

Nickon51
Tinkerer
Username: Nickon51

Post Number: 28

Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 03:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Its just not funny when they are that tight. I think you will need something a bit beefier than 2 drill bits. My favourite tool for those is a set of circlip pliers. The tips should be a close fit in the holes, with a right-angle bend. You can put more torque on the lens when the pliers are at right angles to the holes. Remove the shutter from the standard or hang on tight so you don't bend the struts.
Good luck
Greg

Markus
Tinkerer
Username: Markus

Post Number: 82

Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 01:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When I got into repairing Kodak folders, I bought a set of flexi clamps from micro-tools.com. It looks like those would work on this camera (and I have used them in many instances since). See

http://www.micro-tools.com/store/SearchByCategory.aspx?CategoryCode=FLX

Nickon51
Tinkerer
Username: Nickon51

Post Number: 32

Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 05:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Forgot about those, much more elegant.
The tightest lens element I've ever seen was on one of those Tourists with a 105mm Anaston in a flash Kodamatic shutter.
Cheers

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration