Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

CONTAX 137 MA QUARTZ FOCUSING SCREEN ... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » CONTAX 137 MA QUARTZ FOCUSING SCREEN REMOVE « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Stucel
Tinkerer
Username: Stucel

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 05:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
knows anybody, how to remove focusing screen to clean it? I soil it by attempt to clean the mirror. Rubber spume chalk and blur on focusing screen. I hope, that the mirror is glass to clean it with some spirit or methanol. Thanks for tip

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 430

Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 07:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The mirror is 1st surface 'silvered'. You run the risk of badly scratching the mirror if you attempt to clean it. A very gentle wipe - Do Not Rub - with a microfiber lens cloth dampened with lighter fluid, may improve matters.

Cleaning focusing screens is well nigh impossible, without seriously scratching same. If you are not experienced in attempting to clean screens, I would simply get a repair man to replace the screen. I do not know how easily the screen comes out on the 137, you may have to remove the pentaprism first - hence the repairman if you do not have the correct facilities.

Mikel
Tinkerer
Username: Mikel

Post Number: 108

Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 01:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

On a 137 the flex covers the entire top and front of the camera and it needs to be unsoldered and moved out of the way, as the only way to get the focusing screen out is through the top. Once the flex is taken care of, the prism needs to come out, but it is a very "busy" area in a 137.

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 431

Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 04:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I guessed as much. A long time back I saw an artist's cutaway drawing of the 137, in some advertising package if memory serves me correctly. Even if this was only an impression, there seemed to be a lot going on under the top cover!

If the 'dirt' is only an annoyance; I would learn to put up with it rather than perhaps mess things up further, especially if you are not familiar with camera DIY repairs

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration