Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Leica IIIf film advance knob removal Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Leica IIIf film advance knob removal « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jan
Tinkerer
Username: Jan

Post Number: 48

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 01:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have done this often but, screwed up this time....!

There is a small set screw accessible through a hole in the wind knob - it is supposed to be turned only about 2 times to facilitate the unscrewing of the wind knob from the film shaft.

Well, guess what: I managed to unscrew the set screw all the way and it dropped between the wind knob and the counter dial. I cannot remove it as the opening between the knob and the counter dial is not big enough, even if I lift the knob as if to change the ASA reminder setting.

And - the worst part, the wind knob now spins freely on the film shaft and cannot be removed.

Any ideas how to get out of this mess?

Many thanks,

Jan
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jan
Tinkerer
Username: Jan

Post Number: 49

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 03:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am happy to report that I have figured it out. For the benefit of others who might undo the setscrew copmpletely, here is the remedy:

The setscrew holds the whole wind knob/ASA reminder dial together and when fully tightened, attaches the wind knob to the film take-up shaft.

The setscrew has a standard 2mm thread - I found the hole through the wind knob and the thread behind it, partially screwed in a 2mmx5mm screw from my screw 'collection', turned the wind knob anti-clockwise (against the arrow) and the whole wind knob assembly came off.

Hooray!......

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration