Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

OM2-sp querk with the winder Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » OM2-sp querk with the winder « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Seanmckinney
Tinkerer
Username: Seanmckinney

Post Number: 4

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 08:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have just ebayed an Olympus OM2-sp and it seems very nice other than a querk with the winder. As a model I think they are very nice camera.
The querk...... after the camera has been sat a while it needs two full swings of the winding lever to cock it so that it will fire.

In the next paragraph bare in mind that I am a minolta user and the OM interest is a consequence of getting my old man's OM10. In comparison with Minolta winders all OM winders feel 'rough' to me, OM10,OM2n and these OM2-sp. With regard to this sp problem, on the 1st stroke the winder feels as if it is 'dragging' the mechanism around in the normal OM manner but the camera will not fire, on the 2nd stroke the winder swings a lot more freely up until the very end of its travel where it engages with something and completes the cocking of the camera. After that for the remainder of the session it works perfectly with one stroke of the winder per shot. I have another OM2-sp and it does not exhibit this behaviour.
Note these have been filmless shots and I am about to load a film and see if that makes a difference. The seller is being perfect amicable and is aware I am posting to "relevant forums". I have loaded a film and the first try after leaving it sat for a while needed 3 strokes to get the camera to fire!

My question are.... is this a problem that is likely to get worse?
If so is it likely to be DIY repairable?
What are the possible causes?

Thanks
Sean

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 688

Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 01:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Sean:

First, regarding the 'feel' of the wind levers: The OM2SP does have a rough feel to it; the OM-10 should be less so. But the OM1-1n and 2-2n have among the slickest wind levers you can find - matched only by (you may have guessed it by now) the Minolta SRT series. I don't know how you could have found an OM2n rough unless it was damaged or full of sand.

Back to your problem, I have seen this behavior in the OM1 and OM2, caused by the hairspring-loaded levers in the silent ratchet getting sticky and failing to engage. In the OM2S, I assume it would also be a function of the ratchet in the wind lever, but this is a different design (the cause of the rough feel, I think)... I have not seen this problem, and therefore I have not repaired it, in an OM2S. Based on my experience with the OM1 and 2, I assume that it will continue to get worse if not treated, until you get to the point that it will not wind at all.

Removing the top cover of the OM2S is no fun, and difficult to do without leaving visible marks on reassembly... I would not recommend it as a DIY effort. You might contact www.zuiko.com and get a rough estimate of the cost of having it repaired before deciding whether you want to keep it.

Lucas
Tinkerer
Username: Lucas

Post Number: 78

Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 01:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is a clutchmechanism under the windlever. the symptoms your camera has are the beginning and it will only get worse. I had an OM2 with the same symptoms. Just flushing the clutch with lighterfluid fixed it, but the difficulty lies in getting the top off without doing cosmetic damage.

Seanmckinney
Tinkerer

Post Number: 6

Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 10:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rick, whoops the dangers of going off memory, my apologises to OM2n's, their movement is smooth. I havent played with an OM2n is some time and the memory of the feel of an OM10 had clouded my recollection.
Rick and Lucas, the cosmetics of the camera are not really significant to me, what is the difficulty in removing the top cover? I have a sacrificial OM10 and OM2n on which I could practise both were bought dead and 'for parts'.

I had a look at zukio.coms site and aside from shipping the the US the cost of a 'look at' is more than the camera cost me. I dont expect UK prices would be much lower.

Lucas
Tinkerer
Username: Lucas

Post Number: 79

Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 01:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The OM10 is a completely different animal.
The black cover on the windlever is difficult to get off without damaging it and as Rick points out also to get back on undamaged when you reassemble. You will need to make a tool for that and for the ring over the flash contact. The switch and asa dail stay on the top in the OM2, I hope the SP is similar, I have no firsthand experience on that model. The top deck is very full and things might drop off if you cant the body. The easiest way to fix this is to get a winder for it, it will wind on fine with one of those.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 690

Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 06:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The OM2SP is not as easy to open as the OM2. I've been there and I'm not in a hurry to go back. I'll send you some notes if you like, for whatever they may be worth.

Seanmckinney
Tinkerer

Post Number: 7

Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 01:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rick if you wouldnt mind, I am not saying I will try to go in but it would be worth having a look at the destructions! ;-)

Seanmckinney
Tinkerer

Post Number: 8

Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 01:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Opps forgot Rick you have a PM

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration