Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canonet wiring problem Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Canonet wiring problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bask
Tinkerer
Username: Bask

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 07:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm repairing/cleaning my Canonet QL17 G-III. But there's a problem ;)

I needed to take of the whole lens, so I also had to unwire it. The problem is I did it awhile ago, and now I forgot where I've to connect one of the wires

It's a blue wire which starts at the battery compartment and goes I suppose to the backsite of the lensunit. I've a repair manual but it isnt that clear about the wires/colors. So I really hope someone here knows where I have to connect that blue wire to...

I've made some photos:

http://www.iphotograph.nl/allerlei/canonet/_IGP0489.jpg

http://www.iphotograph.nl/allerlei/canonet/_IGP0494.jpg

And the wire:
http://www.iphotograph.nl/allerlei/canonet/_IGP0495.jpg

Now I first thought one of the blue wires had to be connected at either A or B, but after investigating the internet about this I even start to doubt about this.

So I really hope some of you know where I have to connect the blue wire to... I'd be really thankful because im really missing this little camera :-)

Nickon51
Tinkerer
Username: Nickon51

Post Number: 27

Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 01:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'Day Bask
There is a manual on this site, have a look under the service manual section and you should see it.
Just by looking at that, it appears as if there is a wire from the battery, a wire to the meter and a wire to the aperture/shutter_speed/film_speed resistor bank within the lens, all connected back to the same pad.
Shouldn't be too hard to hook it up again.
Cheers
Greg

Bask
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 08:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thank you nickon, I've been looking at the manual for the last hour, but I dont seem to understand it:s
It says that the battery is connected to the checkerboard. But I couldnt understand how, so I opened up another canonet to check it's checkerbord. And the blue wire from the battery isnt directly going to the checkerboard, although it looks like if you check the diagram in the manual.
Also my canonet doesnt seem to have the part 13-9272(page10)

So the blue wire from the battery goes probably via the PCB to the checkerbord. But I really dont know how that should be connected, and also not whether im right or not.
I'm sorry for my lack of knowledge and my bad english.

Nickon51
Tinkerer

Post Number: 29

Posted on Friday, October 03, 2008 - 08:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'Day Bask,
The only wires that I can't see on your photo is one that runs from the battery check board to the check switch, and one that runs from the flash synch terminal to the hotshoe.
Hope that gives you some clues. What does the switch thats hanging off the white wire do?
Cheers
Greg

Bask
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Saturday, October 04, 2008 - 01:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The board on the photo's is the pcb on the rear of the lens, not the checkerboard, I dont know you misunderstood me?

The switch on the white wire(together with the yellow) are 2 contacts placed on the focusring, which works I think like a resistor so the camera knows how the focussing ring is turning.

But I'm really sorry it doesnt give me any clue, I'm sure its because of me. But I think the diagram isnt clear about the wire I'm missing...

Nickon51
Tinkerer

Post Number: 30

Posted on Sunday, October 05, 2008 - 03:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Bask
I understand what you are saying about the pcb.
I have some questions.
Where does the red wire go?
What are the set of contacts up by the meter?
Where is the battery compartment and are there any wires connected to it now?
Where is the check pcb and what wires are connected to it now?
Send me a PM if you wish.
Cheers
Greg

Bask
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Sunday, October 05, 2008 - 04:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Greg thank you for your great help and responses, I'll try to answer your questions as clear as possible,

1. The red wire goes to the battery checker board. As illustrated in this photo: (from my other canonet gIII)
http://iphotograph.nl/allerlei/canonet/_IGP0481.jpg

2. Those contacts near the red/white meter are contacts for the flash-hotshoe

3 .the batterycompartment (19-0574) is located under the lens on the bottom of the camera, as showed on this photo again:

http://iphotograph.nl/allerlei/canonet/_IGP0481.jpg

There are no wires connected to it, but its the blue wire which needs to get connected to it, because I checked that using the other canonet.

4. You can see the check pcb again on the previous linked photo. There is 1 red and 2 black wires going up to the checkercontact(button) and light.
The red wire isnt connected on the canonet which I'm working on now, because it had to be desoldered to get the lens unit off the camera.
And that big thing is the thermistor (X62-7420)

That's all whats connected.

I hope I provided enough information, and thnx a lot again!

Nickon51
Tinkerer

Post Number: 31

Posted on Sunday, October 05, 2008 - 07:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Bask,
Based on your replies and photos, I'd say the blue wire goes from the battery holder to point A or B in your photo. A and B look like the same solder pad so it shouldn't matter which one.

The circuit is misleading when applied to your camera, but if you redraw it like this, it all makes sense.

Good luck
Greg
QL17

Bask
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 08:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ah I see! So its going via the pcb on the back of the lens to the checkerboard :-) Wow thnx! I don't have time to work on it right now, but I hope to have some time on wednesday.
You'll hear about the result.
Thanks a lot again!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration