Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Bessa I disassembly advice needed Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Bessa I disassembly advice needed « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bob_edwards
Tinkerer
Username: Bob_edwards

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 03:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bessa I (enclosed viewfinder) fitted with infested Vaskar lens and sticky Prontor S shutter on the bench for cleaning: The depth of field scale plate around the lens rotates once the two fixing screws are removed (one short one long). This allowed front lens element removal. Now I'm stuck - no fixings or slots to give a clue about removal of the depth of field scale, which is trapped behind the lens housing. Anybody can tell me the next steps, please?

Regards, Bob

Msiegel
Tinkerer
Username: Msiegel

Post Number: 48

Posted on Friday, October 03, 2008 - 05:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

does this help?
http://www.rolandandcaroline.co.uk/repair/prontors1.html

Pellicle
Tinkerer
Username: Pellicle

Post Number: 1

Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 03:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bob

Funny you should ask, I have the same problem. I have been pondering repairing a prontor shutter in an old folder which sticks on speeds below 25th. I've read on some forums that it can perhaps be removed from the camera, the lens elements taken off and then soaked in some lighter fluid to dissolve the gunked up lubricants.

I've managed to get the front off (and the distance scale) without problems, however I've come unstuck at this point

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3246/2913899839_fe0f73ea03.jpg

I had thought that this metal section should simply unscrew, but it doesn't (simply, it seems to want to fight about it). By the way, thats a magnet tool there, not a broken screwdriver (I'm not that rough)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3051/2914741886_c2bc0f39b2.jpg

In fact you can see a small mark that I put on it from my attempt. Now, even though I (thought) I was careful I've observed that I've put small dent in this ring (you can just see it in the image in the exact left hand side of the ring (the "focus" marker is pointing to it). I only noticed this upon taking and posting these images.<br> <br>
So, my questions are:

how can I best unscrew this to expose my shutter

what's the best strategy for straightening that ring?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration