Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Kowa Super 66, 85mm lens Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Kowa Super 66, 85mm lens « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Muse
Tinkerer
Username: Muse

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 03:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all, new here and wondering if anyone can help.

I have recently purchased the above camera only to find that the self-timer (V) setting on the lens isn't working and the shutter is generally slow and in need of a little tlc. I cannot afford to send it to one of the recommended repairers for this camera and my usual repair man is willing to 'have a go' but does not have a manual.

I have found a repair manual for the camera but nothing of the sort for the lens. A browser search led me to an old post on this forum which described the initial stages of dismantling the lens but not the complete procedure.

Is there anyone out there who can offer further information which will be of use to my lovely repair man?

Mndean
Tinkerer
Username: Mndean

Post Number: 88

Posted on Friday, October 03, 2008 - 01:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ouch. If it were just the self-timer, I'd say leave it alone (I never use them for fear of jamming the shutter on older lens-mounted shutters), but you've got bigger problems. How slow do you estimate is the shutter, and is there any oil on the leaves?

Muse
Tinkerer
Username: Muse

Post Number: 2

Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 07:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My local repair man used the disassembly instructions found on here and has cleaned the shutter and diaphragm which had a lot of oil on them. We've decided to leave the self-timer well alone as I doubt I'd ever use it anyway.

It's all been put back together now, the slow speeds are still a little slow but he's hoping that with use they may improve a bit. Without having instructions for setting the timings he was reluctant to play with the slow settings, for fear that they would knock the correct faster ones out.

I'm going to use it for now and see how I get on, if all else fails I'll have to wait until my degree has finished and I get a proper job and send it to someone with experience of the lens to adjust.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration