Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Removing the Kiev eyepiece Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Removing the Kiev eyepiece « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Dragunov
Tinkerer
Username: Dragunov

Post Number: 105

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, October 03, 2008 - 07:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hey all

what's the best way to remove the Kiev eyepiece? why? it's scratchy and I have glasses, and that viewfinder is squinty enough. I figure if I can remove it and install something flatter, it will be much better. but now the problem lies in removing the eyepiece, which seems to have been pressed on, the metal folded by a press. I've tried to bend back the flaps, but it's quite difficult...

cheers,
Dragunov

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 694

Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 03:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't think the eyepiece is designed to be removable. You might be able to grind off the flaps with a Dremel grinder, modify the eyepiece frame and then epoxy it back into place....

Markus
Tinkerer
Username: Markus

Post Number: 80

Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 01:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You can cut a piece of adhesive felt to a ring-shape that fits on the Kiev eyepiece's metal frame. I've seen those for sale somewhere online, but I cannot remember where. You might be able to get some adhesive felt at a craft store.

Markus
Tinkerer
Username: Markus

Post Number: 81

Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 01:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just found the link...

http://aki-asahi.com/store/html/kiev-4/eyepatch/index.php

It looks easy enough to make yourself, but then again, it only costs $3.50 for four.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer

Post Number: 695

Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 04:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

pretty slick!

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 435

Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 06:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mr. Asahi's products are good value. I purchased some of the eyepiece protectors, along with a number of his precut coverings a while back, for my Zorki 1 bodies. They work very well, and have prevented my rather expensive varifocals getting messed up. If one has a set of laboratory cork borers or suitable leather punches, they are very easy to make. However they are so cheap I was too lazy to bother, even though I have a set of suitable punches!

Dragunov
Tinkerer

Post Number: 107

Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 08:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

oho... dremel work. I already had to dremel down a screw that got in the way of the timing gear... so I suppose the answer is "yes, the soviets had crappy quality control".

my only problem with the felt protectors is that the whole purpose is to get my eyeball closer to the eyepiece. removing that 1mm or so of eyepiece means I see more corners.

and another thing- the shutter seems to work well now. I tried putting bits of it back together and guess what? the slow speeds are too slow... again. this only happens when I put the back shutter cover on- without it and the shutter in place, it's fine. oddness. does that mean more grinding?

thanks, all!

Dirbel
Tinkerer
Username: Dirbel

Post Number: 8

Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 01:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It might be that the shutter curtains get stuck between the back shutter cover and the curtain roller cover. This is the metal piece that is mounted in front of the shutter curtains.

Move the curtain roller cover out a bit after losening the screws on the bottom of the cover.

HTH,

Dirk

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer

Post Number: 696

Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 03:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't know about grinding, but it means that you need to find where the problem is. I assume the camera worked when it was new, and that the metal has not grown since (though I know this may not be a foregone conclusion)... look for something not assembled quite right between the shutter and the film gate, or possibly the shutter not quite seated correctly in the chassis.

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 436

Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 11:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dragunov,

you provided the answer to the problem in your last post - crap quality control. You must think of every camera as a 'one off'. This means that you must loosely assemble everything and then move the bits around, until the camera functions. This accounts for the many over sized screw holes one finds in many Soviet cameras. Do not overtighten the screws - this can also cause the shutter mechanism to run erratically.

One important point - in your stripping down of the camera, did you loose any slivers of paper? Many of these cameras were 'adjusted' with scraps of 'fag paper'

Do not start grinding bits off the parts. As Rick has stated, this camera did function (not necessarily accurately) when first released by the factory. Any malfunctions/interference now, might be due to overtightened screws or misaligned parts.

Dragunov
Tinkerer

Post Number: 108

Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 07:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

oh yeah, it functions and did when I got it. everything works. just not accurately...

no paper shims present, but perhaps I did lose some washer. very unlikely, but still possible. or I used the wrong screw... in any case, I had to grind it, it was slowing everything down.

this is what I think is wrong:
1. shutter tension too low
2. wrong lubricant used

everything is about 2x slow, according to my newly created lame-o tester. no, it can't be trusted, but it's obvious that the slow speeds are too slow. except for 1/5...
I didn't follow advice and flooded everything with lighter fluid. yep, even the escapements... so you (whoever it was) were right, I just had to find out for meself. so I should flood clean again, get those big gears with more graphite possibly and if not use the teflon stuff, then get some nyoil and use that on the faster stuff. bam.

good plan?
any precautions on tensioning the shutter?

thank you all!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration