Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Helios 44-2 lens coating...soft or hard? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Helios 44-2 lens coating...soft or hard? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Scott
Tinkerer
Username: Scott

Post Number: 19

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 05:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does anyone know whether the Helios 44-2 has soft or hard coatings on the inner elements?

I'm wondering because I've read that soft coatings can be removed, if the lens is cleaned in the way that I normally clean a lens --soft brush and then lens cleaner on tissue.

I got a Helios 44-2 (M42 mount) which has pretty nice outer glass surfaces, but a fair number of specks on the inside elements. I was going to take it apart and clean the inside, but then I read that some old lenses have soft coatings.

If the coatings are soft, then I'll forget about cleaning the inside.

My Praktflex FX (M42 mount) came with a hazy 50mm Westanar lens. I dismantled it and cleaned all of the inner surfaces, and when I first tried it, it gave hazy, un-sharp, low contrast images. I suspect I removed the soft lens coatings on the inside. Too bad I didn't try it before I cleaned it.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mikel
Tinkerer
Username: Mikel

Post Number: 112

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 07:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've never seen a soviet lens with soft coatings.

And I have encountered soft coatings before.

But that doesn't mean that they don't exist on your lens.

If the lens is very special to you, just try to blow the specks off with air. Otherwise, I'd just clean it normally.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration