Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Repainting camera back Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Repainting camera back « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mikey99
Tinkerer
Username: Mikey99

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 02:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Pentax MX in great shape except the paint along the top and bottom of the camera back is blistered and peeling. I think this is a result of the light seal foam eating at the paint. Light seals have been cleaned and replaced and I had the idea to try touching up these areas on the back. The camera back is removable so it shouldnt be too hard to mask the rest of the back, leaving just these areas exposed, remove the bubbled paint, sand lightly and spray. Just need to find some black spray paint thats durable enough for this application and matches the other paint on the camera. Any recommendations on a paint to use ?

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 437

Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 05:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Your main problem will be to match the 'lustre' of the original surface finish, otherwise you will get the repainted areas standing out like a sore thumb. No touch up system will match the durability of the original paint finish. However I always choose shade and surface finish match over durability - once you find the correct paint it is always easy to keep retouching if wear occurs.

As to what paint to use; I tend to use acrylic based automotive paints. and apply these using an airbrush. The smaller droplets produced by said equipment, giving a much better match to the surface finish.

Mikey99
Tinkerer
Username: Mikey99

Post Number: 7

Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 07:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I picked up a can of black Duplicolor auto paint
mentioned in another thread. Haven't actually repainted the camera back sections , but I did test the paint on a small strip of metal and it looks like a good match. Its certainly not as durable as the original coating, but using the fingernail test it resists scratching under moderate pressure pretty well.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration