Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Oly 35 SP with a shutter problem Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Oly 35 SP with a shutter problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Late
Tinkerer
Username: Late

Post Number: 2

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 09:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello,

A local junk dealer has a great looking Olympus 35 SP with a working meter but faulty shutter. Shutter won't open at any setting, and the sound it makes is always the same regardles of selected shutter speed (B also). I'm wondering if it's safe to assume that the shutter can be repaired at a reasonable cost (I'm not avdanced enough in the trade to do it myself, in all likelihood). The asking price is around 40$, which is a bit too much if I can't get it working.

Barnum
Tinkerer
Username: Barnum

Post Number: 70

Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 10:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi!
Professional repair would almost certainly exceed the market value of the camera. If you cannot fix it yourself,or do not have a kindly/skilled chum to do things for you, I would advise you look elsewhere.

Late
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 12:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm sure it won't be cheap. But then again, these cameras aren't that common (in Finland atleast), and in ebay the prices keep getting higher and higher. In ebay UK, SP can cost more than £100 nowadays.
I guess the main point I had is how likely it is that the problem with the shutter is relatively easily fixed. Is there some common problem with the seikosha sutters or the winding mechanism in SP that wouldn't be a huge task to repair? I know it's impossible to tell with any great certainty, but I'll take any educated guesses. I might even give the repair a try myself if I feel lucky.

Barnum
Tinkerer
Username: Barnum

Post Number: 72

Posted on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 11:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi!
Crikey! I know the SP is one of the rarer Olympus types, but £100+? I'm advertising a very nice spare one for £50 where I am.

Late
Tinkerer

Post Number: 6

Posted on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 01:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, the £100+ was the highest I've seen, but if you have a working SP in good condition, £50 is cheap nowadays.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration