Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Olympus XA aperture not closing Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Olympus XA aperture not closing « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jordi_c
Tinkerer
Username: Jordi_c

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, October 11, 2008 - 02:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi.

First of all, sorry for my english and any mistake I make writing this post.

I have an Olympus XA and sometimes, the aperture doesn't close when I shot. I've observed that it usually happens in low light situations, but not always. In daylight there's no problem with the camera.

Sometimes I wait for 20 or 30 seconds, but aperture keeps open until I wind the film to the next shot.

Help with this issue would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

M_currie
Tinkerer
Username: M_currie

Post Number: 135

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, October 12, 2008 - 08:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I presume you mean the shutter here, since on the XA the aperture (f-stop) is manually set. All the Olympus XA series have an automatically set shutter speed, and if there is not enough light, the shutter will stay open for a very long time. winding will reset it, as will opening the back (the XA is designed so that you can wind film with the back open even in the dark).

On an XA you should see in the left side of the viewfinder what shutter speed the automatic exposure system has set. If the needle is at the bottom owing to too small an aperture (f-stop set at F22, for example), it will hang open.

On an XA2 or 3, you will see no indication of what the exposure program has selected, and shooting in low light will simply hang the shutter. There is no cure except to avoid dark areas, use faster film, or use the flash.

You should also check the condition of your batteries, because this will also cause shutter problems. Also make sure that the ASA setting has not accidentally been reset. It's pretty easy to do by accident, especially on the XA2 where the flash selector is nearby, and I have occasionally had problems before realizing that I accidentally pushed it down to ASA 10 or something.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration