Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

QL 19 G111 Shutter assy,.. Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » QL 19 G111 Shutter assy,.. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Afrika61
Tinkerer
Username: Afrika61

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 10:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Greetings all.
I recently scored a QL 19 G111 on fleabay and it has one issue that I`m wondering about. The shutter/lense assy doesn`t quite sit flush against the main body but wobbles a bit, maybe 1/2 to 3/4mm. Any ideas on the cause and what I can do to correct the problem?
Thanks in advance,
Mike in Winnepeg

Sevo
Tinkerer
Username: Sevo

Post Number: 6

Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 01:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That is quite common on fixed lens rangefinders of that type and age. They all have the lens attached to a plastic or aluminium lens board, and that to the camera body - and the holes in the board (usually on the lens side) suffer some wear from the constant rotatory strain on the lens acting on the harder (steel or brass) screws.

Personally, I leave that as is, as long as the error is small, and will only fix it if it affects focusing, or when the lens board has to be taken down in any case (which eventually will happen, thanks to sticking shutters and apertures). Removing the lens board is quite messy, as there are several wires and mechanical couplers between the lens and body, and it usually means that you'll have to do a complete recalibration.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 701

Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 07:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm not sure about the QL19GIII; in the QL17GIII, you reach these screws by peeling back the leatherette at the sides of the lens and removing a pair of access panels on the front, there is no other disassembly required. The screws are at the 4 corners of a rectangular plate, you can tighten them and put the access panels back in place. There are notes on the camera generally here http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-30.html and you can see one of these screws in the photo that shows the access panels removed.

If the QL19GIII is not constructed differently, I apologize for misleading you - it's the closest thing that I have in my notes.

Afrika61
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 01:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks guys!
Steve, I`m familiar with the screws that you`re referring to but it`s not them: they`re tight and locked into place with red Loctite. From what I can tell by the way that the assy rocks back and forth, it`s something within the lense/shutter assy itself.
Mike

Afrika61
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 01:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nutz, meant 'Rick", NOT 'Steve': apologies Rick!

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 704

Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 05:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Another possibility, then, is loss of lubricant from the focus helical. These helicals are generally pretty loose fitting, to leave room for a layer of grease in the threads. If the grease is in there it all feels solid and tight, but when the grease is gone it wobbles a bit.

Afrika61
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 03:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think that might be the case; the slop I feel is in exactly that area AND the rings DO rotate with almost no effort.
The next question is, how tough is it to get in there to clean and re-grease them?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration