Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon A-1 with problems advancing Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Canon A-1 with problems advancing « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Hindinwood
Tinkerer
Username: Hindinwood

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 11:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My beloved Canon A-1 is having some problems, and any help would be very much appreciated because I can not live without this camera!

Okay, so on the last few frames I shot, I noticed that the advance lever was getting difficult to fully cock and was sticking a bit. I finished the role, rewound the film, and didn't notice anything amiss until I picked it up to load film yesterday. The advance lever will only go to a certain point (about 2/3 of the way?), and the rewind button at the bottom is stuck in the "in" position. Both film spools inside turn fine by hand. I tried putting the little lever beneath the advance lever (double exposure?) all the way to the left position, and then the advance lever DID go all the way, but I still couldn't fire the shutter. I should emphasize also that the shutter botton can be fully depressed, ie. it's not locked in the "up" position, It just doesn't activate the shutter.

I am going to take this in for repair tomorrow as a last resort, but it would be really awesome to fix it myself if possible - both because it's cheaper and because it's just good in general to understand how to fix such things.

Thanks!

Francis_otto
Tinkerer
Username: Francis_otto

Post Number: 26

Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 12:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You've checked the battery, of course? If the rewind button is stuck in the 'in' position, possibly it jammed there as you rewound, and you might resolve things by whipping off the bottom-plate (x2 cross-head screws), and carefully flipping out the catch, to allow the button to surface. While you're there, you could check the wind-on/interlock (a little 'pawl' that slips into the ratchet): sometimes, just holding this out with a tool ( I use car-boot sale dental instruments), will allow you to wind on completely, and get things back in sequence. On the other hand... if this is an incremental problem, perhaps your A1 is due for a 'CLA' - in England, the name camerarepairer springs to mind, a superb professional, who often advertises on eBay.
No doubt, by the time I've typed this real experts like Glenn, and Rick, will have come to your rescue.
Good wishes.
FJRO

Zell
Tinkerer
Username: Zell

Posted on Sunday, October 26, 2008 - 08:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm having a very similar problem. Does it feel like it's getting stuck when you do it and you practically need to force it?

Jaybooze
Tinkerer
Username: Jaybooze

Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 02:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am having exactly the same prob with my Canon A1.
Anyone any ideas.Jerry

Mac
Tinkerer
Username: Mac

Post Number: 2

Posted on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 08:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If the shutter just doesnt release it could be you shutter magnets are dirty and need cleaning. A tough advance may mean some type of debris has gotten in to the advance gear system and that's a whole other deal.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration