Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Thief-proof travel stragegies? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Thief-proof travel stragegies? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Dragunov
Tinkerer
Username: Dragunov

Post Number: 109

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 08:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

okay, thief resistant. sorry.

so, chances are i'll bring both my FTb and my Kiev on vacation to the tropics... so how can I protect my prized possessions from thieves? i've heard all sorts of horror stories...

what kind of case is it best to take a camera around in? i've got a camera bag that highly resembles my mum's lunch bag, so that might be okay... but sometimes just want to bring a camera and stuff a lens in my pocket or something... what then? or do they realize that a kiev 4 is worth like $50 and not worth fighting (yes fighting) for?

your thoughts?

cheers,
Dragunov

Mndean
Tinkerer
Username: Mndean

Post Number: 90

Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 11:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

People still steal 35mm cameras? If you're going into an area where you might be mugged for your old low-value camera(!), take the one you can easily give up without a fight. I mean, everyone likes all the cameras they have but usually there's one or two that don't mean as much to us as the others. I would think thieves would be more after any money you're carrying than your cameras. I'd dress down a bit and look scruffy if that's the sort of area you're headed to. You don't want to look prosperous. It might also help not to take a bath for a few days :-)

Mndean
Tinkerer

Post Number: 91

Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 11:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

BTW, as for a bag, get the ugliest one you can - if it has duct tape on it, all the better. If the weather is cool enough, just put as much gear as you can in a ratty jacket.

Dragunov
Tinkerer
Username: Dragunov

Post Number: 110

Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 08:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

uh, perhaps they also know that a Kiev is based on a 70 year old design... but hey, they would steal you if they could in southeast asia. and they can. and they do.

haha, one or two... I own two. two lenses (both 50mm), one teleconverter and one macro tube. that's all. can't afford to lose anything.

duct tape it is, then. or electrical tape... I can smear some on my Kiev.

thanks!

Mndean
Tinkerer

Post Number: 92

Posted on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 10:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You could try to hang around someone with a big Nikon bag full of new equipment and no sense. In any case, I wish you luck.

Ade
Tinkerer
Username: Ade

Post Number: 11

Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 07:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

for a lighthearted approach,why not smear your very own excrement all over yourself, no person in thier right mind would go within 100yards of you.the heat would help to really getting you wiffy.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration