Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Nikon F Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Nikon F « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Norman
Tinkerer
Username: Norman

Post Number: 6

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 01:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Nikon F upon which I wish to carry out major surgery for a project that I have in mind. It works fine but when I remove the mirror box the shutter will not fire. I have the service manual but cannot figure out which bits connect together (as in 'the knee bone connects to the thigh bone etc.') What I want to do is to remove all the unnecessary parts leaving just the body with working shutter. Does anyone have the time to help me?

M_currie
Tinkerer
Username: M_currie

Post Number: 137

Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 04:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I will try to post a better response later, though my digital macro capabilities are very canty.

I have a gutted F here. There is one lever that, if moved, allows the shutter to fire with the mirror box off.

If you look at the camera, facing the front, you will see a little crank near to the right hand side of the opening where the mirror box was, near one of the curtain rolls. It has a pin sticking up. If you push that crank back, the shutter will fire.

With the base plate cover off, you'll see that this crank actuates a pair of crescent-shaped levers, at the end of which is a pawl which engages the main shutter roller.

I think you could just remove the lever that has the pawl on it, or you could add a washer or something to one of the pivots, so that when it's screwed down, it jams the linkage into position (that would insure that no parts are removed and lost if you have future plans for the camera).

My cursory investigation suggests that those parts are about all you'd want to remove from the basic body, since all the rest of the mirror and viewfinder related stuff comes off with the mirror box.

I'll try to take a photo later, and show which parts I'm talking about.

M_currie
Tinkerer
Username: M_currie

Post Number: 138

Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 08:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK, let's see if these pictures work:

One shows the lever, one the pawl that the lever ultimately releases.Push the lever back and shutter firesThis is the pawl that needs to be released

Norman
Tinkerer
Username: Norman

Post Number: 7

Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 04:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bingo!I had tried pressing that lever but had not tried pressing the shutter release button at the same time. Thank you very much for your quick response. Now I can move ahead with the rest of the project.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration