Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

WD-40? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » WD-40? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Dragunov
Tinkerer
Username: Dragunov

Post Number: 111

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 01:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

so I try that WD-40 as light oil trick... and it's been over a week, and I don't see two distinct layers. just a bit of powdery stuff that appears whenever I tilt the jar. neat. is it ready? not knowing the answer myself, I tried some on a SP-F slow speed escapement. that thing goes crazy fast now. no joke. it's like on steroids. anyhoo, perhaps it's because the WD-40 is like 20 years old, it's in a rusted can with a little diagram of a rocket on it.

so i'll try some on my Kiev and tell y'all when I do.

BTW, crazy fast is a good thing. the speeds are better now.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 705

Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 02:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mine got fuzzy at the bottom and clear at the top.... the part that looks clear is probably OK. If you're uneasy about it, try another very thin oil instead......

M_currie
Tinkerer
Username: M_currie

Post Number: 139

Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 03:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Speaking of thin oils, has anyone tried the PAG oil that is used in newer R-134 auto air conditioners? I've done a couple of AC fills on cars, and there's always some of that oil left in the can when it's done. It looks to be a very thin, light oil, (synthetic, I think) and seems to work well on small mechanisms, but I've never dared try it on anything critical.

David_ritchie
Tinkerer
Username: David_ritchie

Post Number: 40

Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 06:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Re the WD-40. In order to get the light oil to separate from the unwanted portion, place the container containing the WD-40 in the refrigerator over night. The two portions will be apparent and you can decant the the light oil and save it. Toss out the rest.

Scott
Tinkerer
Username: Scott

Post Number: 22

Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 06:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I seen photographers recommending brass instrument valve oil lately for cameras.

It's very light. I've never tried it on a camera, but I used to use a lot of it on my trumpet. Any shop that sells trumpets and trombones will have it. I also read that it's the same as light gun oil. Is that so?

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 706

Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 07:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i dunno, but i do use gun oil sometimes too

Dragunov
Tinkerer

Post Number: 112

Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 08:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

be careful of which valve oil you use... my bro's has white flakes floating around in it. and it's the "high quality" $9 a bottle stuff.

ironically, I think if valve oil was a bit stickier it would work better... mine seems to just drain out and the valves are again sticky. aww. anyways...

Sevo
Tinkerer
Username: Sevo

Post Number: 8

Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 10:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'd stay off regular valve oil even for brass instruments going into storage - a pro brass instrument will see heavy use, complete with daily cleaning, hence valve oil will be optimized for a day under rough playing conditions rather than for long storage.

In any case, it is rather strange that people (myself not excluded) are frequently looking for cheap lubricants. I guess we sometimes fail to break down the per use cost of something expensive that is used extremely sparingly, and focus on the per-bottle price.

Small size bottles or tubes will last for months or years even in a busy camera repair shop, which makes it rather ridiculous to economize there - you can hardly put more than a few cents worth of the most expensive oil into one single camera.

Dragunov
Tinkerer

Post Number: 114

Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 12:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hey! we're cheap people (unless your classic is a Leica).

Paul_ron
Tinkerer
Username: Paul_ron

Post Number: 127

Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 02:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

NYOIL is the same music store valve oil used on trumpets n trombones n French Horns. It's the same manufacturer/distributor in Queens NY hence NY-Oil. I've used it for many years n never had any problems. Remember, use only one molecule at a time, apply with a needle, don't flood your shutters with it. It's not sauce on a pizza

Mikel
Tinkerer
Username: Mikel

Post Number: 114

Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 05:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have used Nyoil on cameras for more years than I care to admit. I still have and use the original six ounce bottle which is so old that the label is nearly illegible. I have used about one quarter of it.

It is applied one tiny drop at a time with a dental pick. And the remaining oil is still clear and seems to be like new.

Dragunov
Tinkerer

Post Number: 116

Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 08:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

update:
WD-40 works for the escapements. no joke. it went from S-L-O-W to Usain Bolt. being chased by the cops.

in fact, it's perhaps too fast... well, the slow speeds. 1/1250 seems impossible to get, mine is like 1/800. lame-o.

Paul_ron
Tinkerer

Post Number: 128

Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 03:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

WD is a light oil but not as light as watch n NYOil. NYOil actually evaporates over time. See that's good in a shutter that just needs a jump start to get the oxidation off the gear pins.

Most leaf shutters should self lube, brass. When they lay for a long time they get oxidized n parts just have too much friction till they wear again. Your WD40ed shutter will eventually slow as the oil dissapates n evaporates, it just takes longer. Lots of use is the best lube you can get.

Be weary of WD as it may gum up over time n you'll be back where you started. Use a very tiny drop at a time. One drop will cover an acre of land.

Paul_ron
Tinkerer

Post Number: 129

Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 03:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

BTW if you spit on the gear pins, your shutter will work just as well as if you used oil, it just doesn't last as long.

Steve_s
Tinkerer
Username: Steve_s

Post Number: 132

Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 05:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

WD40 is excellent as a penetrating and freeing oil (it works great on stuck spanner rings) but I wouldn't use it on a shutter. I nearly did once. I put a couple of drops of the separated oil on the concave bottom of a glass jar ready to use, but 5 minutes later when I came to dip my toothpick in the oil it had disappeared completely! What it had actually done, of course, was to spread itself in a uniform layer over the entire base of the jar. This shows why it is an excellent penetrating oil, but rubbish for shutters!

I'd stick to watch-oil or similar.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration