Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Fujica Fujicarex II shutter issue Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Fujica Fujicarex II shutter issue « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Azza
Tinkerer
Username: Azza

Post Number: 6

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 07:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi there, i picked up a Fujica Fujicarex II for a few dollars the other day. It's quite an unusual camera, and there doesnt seem to be much info about it on the net.
Anyway, mine is in terrific cosmetic condition with perfect glass etc. However, the shutter seems to be stuck in the closed position. The film advance winds like normal, and the shutter release button works fine. I hear a click, but the shutter stays shut (it should be open by default).
I have no idea how to go about fixing this. Can anyone offer soem help? I now thinking i might need to take the camera apart, but have no idea where to start..
Any help would be appreciated, cheers!

---------
www.arransalerno.com

Mndean
Tinkerer
Username: Mndean

Post Number: 95

Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 09:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It seems to have a between-the-lens shutter and changeable front elements. A strange duck for an SLR. Is the shutter visible when the front lens element is removed?

Nspur
Tinkerer
Username: Nspur

Post Number: 1

Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 04:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you remove the front lens element the shutter will be visible and could be stuck shut. If this is the case you can try to unstick it by applying lighter fuel or better acetone and before the liquid dries fire the shutter to see if it will unstick. Mine did eventually and still works. However you may find that the iris behind the shutter blades is also stuck and that is a different matter. Here you may need a very very small application of a lubricant applied with the tip of a very small screwdriver. Don't use an oil-based lubricant. If you have some PTFE (poly-tetra-fluoro-ethyl) this might work. I've not been able to fix that yet. With some cameras just leaving them in a warm environment can help a lot.

Azza
Tinkerer
Username: Azza

Post Number: 7

Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 05:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks guys.
Yep, the shutter is visibly closed when i remove the front element. It seems to move the slightest bit when i wind and release the shutter. Hopefully i can work it free with some lighter fluid.
Is there any trick in applying it to stuck shutters?
cheers

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration