Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon AE-1 Program in water please help! Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Canon AE-1 Program in water please help! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Spikey640
Tinkerer
Username: Spikey640

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 06:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

was out taking photos today, slipped and fell into a river. after it happened i took any easily removable parts off and was barely any water inside, maybe a few drops

the camera was not fully engulfed in water, but now the film fails to advance, or shoot

the battery testing button, will beep VERY faintly(i already know the battery is still ok)

the film release button(not sure the exact name, under the body of the camera) is stuck in

im guessing there is a short or some sort of electrical damage

this is my dads camera, and buying a new one is not an option i guess, so any early estimates what it will cost

or any ideas to repair?

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 440

Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 10:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Your best option will be to purchase a working replacement off eBay, or from a dealer in second hand 'classics'. The cost of fully stripping down and cleaning your camera, will be many times the value of a good AE-1. This series of cameras does not like being immersed in water, and shorts are a common feature after such incidents. Obviously your 'few drops' scenario is way off - otherwise you would still have a working camera - unless there is evidence of the camera being knocked.

Dgillette4
Tinkerer
Username: Dgillette4

Post Number: 246

Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 11:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If the water was fresh water and not salt you can try soaking it in alcohol for an hour then shake dry and dry it out by putting it on the oven door opened at 300 dgs or so just enough heat to keep it warm to the touch. Let it sit for a few days then try it . My method is cheap and if it doesen't work then look around for a replacement...Don

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 441

Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 05:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you ever actually use this method on the Canon A Series, when you were in business? As water/moisture is instantly miscible with ethyl alcohol, why soak for 60 minutes? Extended exposure to any organic solvents, risks causing other problems - one of the main ones being a couple or so decades of crud, being deposited on the mirror, screen and pentaprism.

One final point - owners of domestic gas ovens should steer clear of experimenting with this method. If you must 'sober up' a tipsy camera, let it dry out in the airing cupboard.

Dgillette4
Tinkerer
Username: Dgillette4

Post Number: 247

Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 07:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This was the procedure for Nikonos cameras, True they didn't have a mirror to contend with. And another step was to soak in clean water with several changes then use alcohol. Then dry. The camera still had to be striped down and lubed again. And true they Nikkonos back then did't have electronics to contend with. You would probably have eaten off the circuitry from salt water. Don

Mikey99
Tinkerer
Username: Mikey99

Post Number: 8

Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 07:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would first try just leaving the back open, lens removed, and the battery removed/compartment cover open, and set on a shelf in a dust free area for a week or so. If the water got in that easily, it will eventually evaporate out. Patience is the key, dont expect it to work right away after getting wet. And dont put it in the oven or soak in any liquids like alcohol. The alcohol will get into the viewfinder / prism area and make a mess.

This story reminds me of the time back about 1968 or so when my uncle's prize FM radio fell into the toilet while he was shaving. He opened it up, let it dry for a couple days, and it worked fine !

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration