Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta 16 not advancing film Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Minolta 16 not advancing film « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Sausage100uk
Tinkerer
Username: Sausage100uk

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 01:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi there, I have just bought a minolta 16 (mainly because it had 4 empty cassettes with it) and having loaded some old 16mm 'practice' film it doesn't seem to advance the film. (works fine in my minolta 16 p) it looks like the winder just rolls back and forwards as you open and shut the camera.... anyone have any ideas?

Dave

M_currie
Tinkerer
Username: M_currie

Post Number: 141

Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 07:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've never had the good fortune to find a Minolta 16 cassette, but I have an original 16 here in my hand. When you take the cover off to load the film you can open the film door, and use the slide to advance and cock.

It appears that when you open the slide, there is no movement, and when you close it again, it advances the takeup spool clockwise. The base of the spool rotates in both directions, but the hub does not.

My first question would be to see if it is actually moving the spool in both directions. If it is, see if the spool is jammed or its ratcheting mechanism inoperative. It should be possible to rotate it clockwise by hand, and it should lock when you try to rotate it CCW. If it's gunked up with age, perhaps you can just give it some exercise and get it loosened up, or perhaps try a drop or two of Ronsonol to get the clutch clutching.

I'm guessing that this is not a very complicated mechanism, since the post in the center of the spool, with the screw head, is stationary. I think if you carefully unscrewed that screw, you'd reveal a stack of parts constituting some kind of clutch, and if you get that clutch working properly, you'll be back in business.

However, despite my inability to use this camera until or unless I find a cassette, I confess I'm reluctant to experiment on this one, so I'm afraid you'll have to find out for yourself the extent of the "sproing factor" involved if you take that screw out!

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 707

Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 07:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't have any answers, but I do have some sketches that show how to take the camera apart. Let me know if you would like a copy.

rick : ) =

Scott
Tinkerer
Username: Scott

Post Number: 23

Posted on Friday, October 24, 2008 - 08:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've had my Minolta 16 cameras (both model 1 and 2) and my Kiev 30 apart several times before I finally fixed everything. It's not extremely difficult to take them apart to see what the problem is, but it always took me several tries to get them back together again. Actually, there aren't THAT many small parts.

First off: The early Minolta 16 and the Kiev 30 are almost identical. My Kiev 30 had the same problem-- would not advance the film. The problem was that the tiny stud --which is pressed into the capstan and has to be engaged in the curved slot in the sliding advance plate-- had disappeared. So you might check to see whether or not that stud is still there. As someone wrote above, the capstan has a clutch arrangement that keeps the capstan moving in only one direction. The capstan is held in place with a screw (from the bottom).

I took the capstan and cam plate out of a Minolta 16, and put it into the Kiev. I put a couple of drops of thin oil on the clutch axel and smeared a bit of grease on the underside of the capstan to make sure there was no unecessary frition. Works OK now, except that there is a small overlap of the images. But I can also use Minolta cassettes in the Kiev now.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration