Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Leica M4 shutter stuck Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Leica M4 shutter stuck « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Peter_stind_rosendahl
Tinkerer
Username: Peter_stind_rosendahl

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 02:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The shutter in my M4 has stuck wide open. Tripping the shutter or releasing by the self-timer makes no difference. The advance lever can be advanced about 30 degrees, then it mets resistance. Your help and experience is much appreciated. Thank you

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 708

Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 02:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My guess is that you've got a film chip or something jammed in the shutter wind gears. Don't force anything, an M4 is too expensive to waste.... it's also expensive to work on. If sending it in to a pro shop is out of the question, email me and I can send you some sketches (I think they are all from M3s, but it should be close enough); but be aware of the risks, my advice is to have it professionally repaired if at all possible.

Peter_stind_rosendahl
Tinkerer
Username: Peter_stind_rosendahl

Post Number: 2

Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 03:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you Rick. The sketches you mention are those the ones on you website, or additional ones?
Maybe this further explanation of the behaviour can help:
When trying to advance I can move the advance lever about 5 degrees of the actual tranportation movement. When I do that I can see the curtain move with it - away from the film window - in other words: trying to wind pulls the curtain about 3-4 mm into the slot - direction take-up spool. This movement of the advance lever is spring loaded and the lever springs back together with the curtain.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 709

Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 04:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't put things like Leica M series on my website ... I don't want to encourage people to get themselves in over their heads. I will email notes to you though, if you want them. Drop me a note at [email protected]. I can only guess that there is something jammed in the gears, only a disassembly and inspection will discover the problem.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration