Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Jammed Miranda F Shutter Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Jammed Miranda F Shutter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lgdavis
Tinkerer
Username: Lgdavis

Post Number: 14

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 10:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Miranda F SLR on which I performed some cleaning to free up the mirror return and erratic speeds - with some generous help from Rick Oleson. I used drops of naptha followed by tiny oil drops on gear pivots that seemed to do the trick. But when I had finished reassembly, the shutter jammed after several successful shutter releases - with the next to last release a bit draggy. I took the covers back off and can see no obvious problem. I am thinking the cleaning of the top winding/release gear mechanism may have gotten some grime into gears I can't see without taking the mechanism apart (which I'm not anxious to do without a repair manual). I have had good luck flush cleaning leaf shutters but have never tried the same on a focal plane shutter. I know I don't want to get cleaning solvent on the curtains or mirror, but thought maybe holding the camera on its back and letting the cleaning fluid run out the side might work. I also thought I might use an arosol electronics cleaner to better get in small paces with some power. Has anyone tried this before?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Turnergande
Tinkerer
Username: Turnergande

Post Number: 44

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 01:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You might take a peak at the slow speed mechanism which is accessed by removing the bottom cover. I found this to be one of the areas that can cause a shutter jam especially on the Miranda F. Also, make sure the shutter curtain has fully completed its travel. Sometimes it just takes a gentle tug or pull on the curtain to complete its cycle. Insufficient tension on the shutter or too much friction on the shutter mechanism can cause the shutter to jam.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration