Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Esoteric Edixa Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Esoteric Edixa « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Pinotgraves
Tinkerer
Username: Pinotgraves

Post Number: 2

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, November 04, 2008 - 10:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I ended up with an Edixa-mat Flex S, and I have come to like it pretty well. However, the split image focus was very hard to see, and I thought the ground glass might need replacing. Then I removed the f2.8 50mm Steinheil and grabbed the nearest M42 lying around--a Helios f2 58mm. Presto--image really easy to focus. Is this an issue with the Steinheil or the Edixa? I imagine the Steinheil might have been the lens that came with the camera.

Mndean
Tinkerer
Username: Mndean

Post Number: 99

Posted on Tuesday, November 04, 2008 - 08:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Split-image focus gets progressively harder the slower the lens is (that's why some people like microprism better), but f/2.8 shouldn't be too slow a lens for that. It's an older camera, so that may be part of it as well. Focus screens didn't brighten until years later, but still it seems a little odd - 2.8 standard lenses should focus reasonably well. If it works with the f/2 lens and it's a good lens, use it. Maybe the focus screen has dimmed over the years or something. I don't know Edixa cameras well enough to diagnose why you have that problem.

Pinotgraves
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Tuesday, November 04, 2008 - 09:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So I tried a Yashinon M42 as well--same result.--a bright clear image, easy to focus. Is it simply brightness delivered to the viewfinder? Thanks, Mndean, for weighing in. The Edixa is sturdy, takes fine pictures and a pleasure to use. I understand why it has fans.

Msiegel
Tinkerer
Username: Msiegel

Post Number: 54

Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 01:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does the brightness in the finder change when changing apertures with the Steinheil? I also don't know which version of the Helios you have - older ones were preset newer ones are automatic.
If it is an automatic one you always focus with the aperture fully open and have a bright finder view.
Sorry, don't know if the Steinheil is an automatic lens - if it is not brightness in the finder should change when changing apertures.
Regards
Martin

Pinotgraves
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 11:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It seems that the Steinheil needs a wider aperture to make the split image visible...and sometimes the obvious about opening up the aperture in order to focus is lost on those whose cameras and lenses usually do it for them....like me. Thanks.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration