Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

How do you get into a Prontor SVS... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » How do you get into a Prontor SVS... « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Adrian
Tinkerer
Username: Adrian

Post Number: 205

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 04:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

...when you have no front element to unscrew?

Just seeking clarification, I've cleaned and reassembled a Prontor before, and have all those nice Daniel Mitchell pages linked. However, I went in from the front by unscrewing the front element of the lens.

My Altix-V has a bayonet fit lens and, assuming the pics are good enough to tell me the lens is OK, I think I need to de-gunge the shutter if I'm going to use it more. It's currently really quite slow. I know that 2 seconds instead of 1 is only a stop over, well within film's latitude, but the flash sync doesn't work either so I think it's spanner time.

The big question is... Is the shutter attached by the front or the rear? There's a slotted ring at the back, and another one with two pinholes at the front (lens) end. I'm guessing maybe that one screws the mount onto the shutter, but if anyone has taken a Prontor off a camera with a bayonet-mounted lens I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Many thanks,

Adrian
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Adrian
Tinkerer
Username: Adrian

Post Number: 206

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 03:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK, I'll partially answer my own question. In short, don't try!

The mount on mine will not unscrew from the front and, in trying to remove the shutter as a whole, I've found that you (probably) need to fold back two tabs that are hidden by the leatherette to get the thing apart.

I've given up, and gone for the cheats way - just drenching the shutter in ronsonol and hoping that enough grease shifts to speed it up without lodging anywhere worse... It was that or defenestration!

Adrian

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration