Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Contax 137MA mirror jam Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Contax 137MA mirror jam « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Carvac
Tinkerer
Username: Carvac

Post Number: 2

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 05:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My Contax 137MA's mirror hits the back of lenses. About 2/3 of the time, after I take a picture with it, the mirror sticks up and only unjams if I shake the camera or attempt to remove the lens. The same lenses work in my 139Q perfectly fine, so they are not at fault.

I examined the mirror, and it sticks out about a millimeter or two too far out of its frame.

I got this from family, and I don't know if the condition developed or was a manufacturing defect.

The following is how the mirror protrudes. The implement holding the mirror up is a kebab skewer.
137MA mirror

To compare, the following is my 139, which works correctly.
139Q Mirror

How can I fix it?

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 444

Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 06:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Logic would suggest that the mirror has slipped on the metal base. Examination of the hinge edge of the base will confirm if this is correct - there will be a gap between the top edge of mirror and the lip on the metal base.

How you correct this will depend on how the actual mirror is attached to the base. I do not have knowledge of this cameras internals - the mirror could be retained mechanically by clips, double sided tape or an adhesive. Mechanical fixings are likely to allow mirror movement, but also allow easy correction of fault - gently push back into place. However I would surmise that your mirror is held by double sided tape or adhesive. The only successful way I have found to remove a 'stuck on' mirror, is to remove the complete assembly and soak in solvent. You can then carefully separate the mirror from the base. You will break the mirror if you try and pry it off.

Carvac
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 05:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is a gap between the mirror and the hinge. Unfortunately, the mirror isn't clipped on; I guess it's glued.
I read on a different post that heat might do the trick.
https://kyp.hauslendale.com/classics/forum/messages/2/13455.html?1223724587
Will that work?

Carvac
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Sunday, November 09, 2008 - 02:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Another problem:

I just found out that my 139Q's bulb shutter speed doesn't work. It sounds like it's set to around 1/125 or 1/60. Any reason why this might be?

It works perfectly fine otherwise.

Mikel
Tinkerer
Username: Mikel

Post Number: 116

Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 03:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The mirror is glued on. It has gotten hot and slid down. You can re-heat it and slide it back. The Yashicas and Contaxes of this vintage use glue and when a camera gets hot (usually happens when left in an auto) the glue softens. I have used a hair dryer to re-seat them.

Your 139 has a dirty contact on one of the switches under the shutter release which is preventing the "B" setting from working. I did a number on this a few years ago which would hopefully turn up with an archive search- can't reacall if it was a 139 or a Yashica FX-D, but they are very similar.

Carvac
Tinkerer

Post Number: 6

Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 01:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow! It worked! Thanks! I wasn't sure if mine used glue that softens or not, and how to apply the heat. I'll keep in mind not to leave it in a hot car, though.

I also found your post about the shutter release. I'll try that soon. Would the problem be the same if I used the cable-release port? That has the same problem as the button on top.

Mikel
Tinkerer
Username: Mikel

Post Number: 117

Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 10:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, you would have the same problem.

If you take the top off of your 139, you should clean all of contacts- shutter speed, film speed, shutter release.

I would also pull off the front wind-side panel and clean and lubricate the mirror damper flywheel which will be in plain sight. If it is not already squealing, it soon will.

I think we have a note in the archives on that one too....

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration