Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Adaptall 105mm, oil on blades, stuck ... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Adaptall 105mm, oil on blades, stuck wide open, fix? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kldill
Tinkerer
Username: Kldill

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, November 09, 2008 - 06:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can anybody point me in the right direction for repairing/cleaning sticky aperture blades on a Tamron Adaptall CT-105 105mm f2.5 lens? They seem to have oil on them and the aperture sticks wide-open. Any help would be appreciated!

Tamron 105mm f2.5

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 719

Posted on Sunday, November 09, 2008 - 08:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've never worked on that one. Usually, you go in from the front, unscrewing the ID ring first and then the front lens cell... but construction varies, some you unscew the filter thread ring, or remove some set screws from the sides at the front end to get started. Once you reach the blades, clean them with lighter fluid until they are totally dry. Any oil around the actuating ring that they attach to should be cleaned out as well.

Kldill
Tinkerer
Username: Kldill

Post Number: 2

Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 07:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've read about using lighter fluid to clean the blades, but just how do you go about cleaning them? What do you actually use to apply the fluid? How much fluid is used? Etc, etc. I'm looking for a how-to reference for a newbie. I don't want to flood the thing or touch something I shouldn't & ruin it. It's a beauty and other than the stuck aperture, looks new.

Thanks!

Sevo
Tinkerer
Username: Sevo

Post Number: 16

Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 02:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Never use lighter fluid on any lens that has not been completely disassembled!

Ideally, you would take the aperture completely apart as well - but if you want to avoid that, soak the entire aperture (removed from the lens body, of course) in lighter fluid, and repeat until the bath stays clean. Let completely dry, and use a hair or thin needle to apply a very minuscule amount of camera safe oil (e.g. Nyoil) to each of the blades pivot pins before reassembly.

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 452

Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 06:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Once all the optics are removed, many lenses can have their iris mechanisms flush cleaned without further stripping down. It all depends on the actual layout of the lens barrel.

You do not need to apply oil to the blade pivots - the object of the cleaning was to remove all oil present! I have never come across any aperture mechanism that did not work perfectly dry. I am talking about lenses that made 1000s of exposures between service checks, and not half a dozen rolls per year.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration