Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Are these cameras worth anything Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Are these cameras worth anything « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Icechips
Tinkerer
Username: Icechips

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 11:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tried checking on Ebay but all I could find was a range of $5-$40. Maybe that's all these are worth, but I figured a classic camera repair forum would know.

#1 Polaroid 210 (said it's a land camera) with flash

#2 Kodak Duaflex III with flash (tried winding it and clicking a "picture" and the shutter works)

#3 Brownie: I think this is what the stap has on it: No 2 Foldup Pocket Brownie. I can't remember if my dad said it was his father's or grandfather. He's 82, so I'm guessing the camera from the 1900-1930.

If anyone knows where I can sell these older camera, let me know...

Thanks a bunch!

Sevo
Tinkerer
Username: Sevo

Post Number: 13

Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 02:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

$5 rather than $40 unless they are perfectly preserved, with original box and all - all of them were bottom end consumer mass products and there still are gazillions of them about. A Brownie can be expensive if it is a very rare version - but most aren't.

Odd high eBay prices are no measure of realistic rates on a common item like these - in so large a community any offer will ocasionally find some sucker, and besides there is the problem of shill bidding.

M_currie
Tinkerer
Username: M_currie

Post Number: 145

Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 07:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The no. 2 folding brownie might be worth a little more than the others, but still not likely to hit $40. However, the fact that these cameras have no particular monetary value doesn't mean they have no value at all.

The folding Brownie takes 120 roll film that is still available and can still be processed. Wouldn't it be kind of fun to put a roll of modern film into it, and take some pictures with your grandfather's or great grandfather's camera?

Marty
Tinkerer
Username: Marty

Post Number: 5

Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 05:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wouldn't it be kind of fun to put a roll of modern film into it, and take some pictures with your grandfather's or great grandfather's camera?

This is a good point. Probably the most monetarily valuable camera in my collection is a Tourist Multiple at maybe a couple of thousand bucks. The most valuable to ME is my grandfather's Brownie, which he got for Christmas in 1904 and used until the corners were rounded soft and the handle was thin and limp.
Likewise, my least valuable gun, (I'm a yank,) is my late father's old bolt action .22 he got as a boy. To me it's priceless.

Icechips
Tinkerer
Username: Icechips

Post Number: 2

Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 11:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks everyone ... I never really thought there were a lot of these around until I started looking. Figured this was the answer I'd get when B&H Photo said they had too many/or no call for them.

For what I take pics with, which are race cars on the track, none of these cameras would work... no telephoto. That's all I ever take pics of.

I haven't even figured out how to open that Brownie. About all I know is the Kodak's shutter works.

Thanks again, now I can go back and tell Dad what these things are worth, but they'll probably end up back in the closet and after I'm gone (I'm 45) the great grand kids can figure out what to do with them.

Rlc
Tinkerer
Username: Rlc

Post Number: 57

Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 12:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Debi; I am 78 years old and some of my Dad's meager possesions are of great value to me although they have little or no value in the market place.
Consider that someday these cameras may bring happy memories to you in your old age.
Keep them and you may treasure the memories in the future.
Richard.

Norman
Tinkerer
Username: Norman

Post Number: 8

Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 12:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Ric, I am only 61 years old and am extremely jealous that you have some of your fathers possesions to remember him by. I only have a few pics, but they make me feel good when I look at him.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration