Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Wondering if my collection is worth s... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Wondering if my collection is worth something. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Marco_vinz
Tinkerer
Username: Marco_vinz

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 12:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi everyone.
I'm a young collector, and as I stand in front of my collection I feel proud and fascinated by all of these cameras.
I've been around antiques shops for a while, and now that the number is getting high, I was wondering if beyond the affective value these cameras could have also a significant money value.
I only care about their beauty and usability, but maybe here someone more expert about quotations can help me.
This is the list of the cameras, and I attach a picture of my collection.

Kodak 1A Autographic Junior (1914)
Voigtlander Bessa (1930 ca)
Kodak Brownie Junior 620 (1934)
Kodak Brownie Reflex 20 (1959)
Kodak Retinette (1952)
Voigtlander Vitomatic II (1957)
Kodak Junior six-20 Series II (1937)
Holga 120 FN (1982)
Zenit E (1965)
Olympus PEN-EE (1961) - with cover
Kodak Stereo Camera (1954) - with cover
Exakta Varex II B (1960 ca) - with cover
Agfa Clack (1954) - with cover

Thanks in advance!

collection photo - nov 1008

M_currie
Tinkerer
Username: M_currie

Post Number: 146

Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 01:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm not sure about the value of all of them, but I think you may find that the Kodak Stereo is pretty collectible, especially if it works well.

I have one of these whose shutter got sticky, and I foolishly disassembled it, and have not managed to get it back together yet. A job for a deep and dark winter day.

Mndean
Tinkerer
Username: Mndean

Post Number: 101

Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 01:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The value of some of the cameras, notably the folders like the Bessa, will depend on what lens/shutter combo they have on them. The Pen EE is only of value if the meter works and is reasonably accurate. The lens on the Exakta will matter also for a valuation. Some cameras like the Clack and Holga have a cult following, but the value is not high. Remember, a working camera is always worth more than a non-working one. As long as you're not paying too much for the cameras, you have a nice little collection.

The best place to look for value is fleabay, in the completed auctions section. Look for cameras which are as close to yours in features and condition. There still will be quite a variation, but you'll get an idea of each camera's value.

Adrian
Tinkerer
Username: Adrian

Post Number: 208

Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 02:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Assuming that the 13 cameras in the pic are the 13 listed, you might want to take a second look at the Retinette. If it's the one at front right, I suspect that it's earlier than 1952... but I'm no expert! I don't think Retinette's have any great value, but the apparently infinite variations of the early Retinas means that some of them are relatively valuable. As Mndean says, your best bet is to see what they make on your local fleabay...

Marco_vinz
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 09:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the suggestions!
All cameras work, and I have took pictures with almost all of them (not the Kodak 1A Autographic Junior, obvious film problems).
I'll make some research on the Retinette, and I'm definitely gonna check those completed auctions.

Mndean
Tinkerer

Post Number: 102

Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 01:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Don't be surprised to see wild swings in sale prices. Shill bidding and competing bidders can drive up a camera way above its general value. It's also true that sometimes there can be a real rarity that will cause a camera to go for more than what you may otherwise find. Check closely, you may have a valuable camera in your collection. Just don't count on it. It's only once happened to me out of the hundred or so finds I had.

P.S. I liked my Pen EES and used to shoot a lot of Kodachrome 25 with it. Best part was it had a focusing mount, unlike most EE models.

Alex
Tinkerer
Username: Alex

Post Number: 73

Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 03:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The advice to scan eBay is good, though so too is the caveat about extreme swings in prices fetched. One folder I put on for sale fetched four times what I expected, so if there are a couple of collectors in competition, a bidding frenzy can result. It's a moot point whether this 'skews' the values of cameras ; after all, any object is worth exactly what someone else is prepared to pay for it. When scanning eBay completed listings, pay particular atttention to the quality of presentation of the description and any accompanying photographs. It has been my experience that these greatly affect the final sale price, even for items in very similar condition. It's a good exercise to do some sort of valuation like this, if only for insurance purposes.

Mndean
Tinkerer

Post Number: 103

Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 10:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Alex,
I was only referring to an average value - Marco didn't indicate he was selling the cameras, so the value should be considered either somewhat conservatively (so as not to expect too much - bidders are too fickle to expect a bidding war) or at a higher value (for replacement purposes if they're to be insured). To expect top prices on each camera unless it is absolutely pristine and working perfectly is to court disappointment.

Marty
Tinkerer
Username: Marty

Post Number: 6

Posted on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 03:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Marco was saying
All cameras work, and I have took pictures with almost all of them (not the Kodak 1A Autographic Junior, obvious film problems).

This reminds me of something that happened to me back in the 70's... I learned that soon 122 film, the old roll film for postcard sized negatives, was going to become unavailable. I ran around town buying up the last half dozen rolls I could find, and then put them in my parent's freezer, to use for something special. I never saw them again. My father died 10 years ago, and when we moved my mother out into an apartment a few years ago, there was no film there. Plenty of 20 year old fish from fishing trips to Canada,(which became a running joke... "who gets the fish from Canada?") but no film...
Marty

Alex
Tinkerer
Username: Alex

Post Number: 74

Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 03:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mark,
You are of course, right, and I'm merely echoing your sensible cautions on assessing values based on what similar models fetch on eBay. From time to time we get this question on this forum, and I'm sometimes torn about how I should answer it ; whether it should be what I'd expect if I were selling it, or what I'd pay if I were looking for it. Marco is clearly proud of his collection and enjoys it, so I'm guessing he's looking for an indication for something like insurance purposes, what it might cost him to replace any of them if lost or damaged. I do this myself around once a year for exactly that reason.

Mndean
Tinkerer

Post Number: 104

Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 04:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I check value as well, most stay pretty stable, but a few have surprisingly gone up in value, and I can't think of a reason for it.

Barnum
Tinkerer
Username: Barnum

Post Number: 79

Posted on Saturday, November 29, 2008 - 11:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi!
I would not mind your Kodak 3d in my collection!
From the looks of it, your Retinette is most likely from the early '40s. As stated earlier, the poorer cousins of the Retina are not usually of high value. The exception is the Big Momma of all, the original Retinette with downward opening door.
Regards

Marco_vinz
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 10:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey folk, I read all of your posts, and I thank everyone of you!
In these days I have been around antique stores, and found some nice surprises (like a Voigtlander Bessa, folding camera, at 50$) but bought nothing, for a very simple reason: all of the shops here in Norway are doing sales.. before xmas! So I thought: what's gonna happen... after xmas? I might sound cynical, but that's how it is...
The kodak 3d is probably the better looking of the whole collection, but still I have to get a "3d viewer" to enjoy the full experience of the twin pictures!
I am constantly checking eBay, and I'm well aware of the crazy swings... I saw once a kodak 3d exactly like mine (even in little worse condition than mine maybe) being sold at 155$... well... if thats the real value, than I'm happy, but I REALLY don't think so.

The issue now is that I'm flying home in Italy for Xmas, and I gotta take with me my collection... There's no way I'm gonna check the whole collection in, so I gotta make up a way to bring it with me on the plane... hope there will be no troubles at the gates :/

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration