Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Pentax ME Super Won't Open Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Pentax ME Super Won't Open « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Leon
Tinkerer
Username: Leon

Post Number: 2

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 05:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi I have a Pentax ME Super that will not open. I haven't used it in a year, and today I tried unloading the film that is inside with the instructions in the manual, but the rewind crank has no resistance. I've also tried pulling the rewind knob, but nothing. If anybody has any ideas what's wrong or how to fix, please let me know. Thanks!

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 451

Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 06:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Presuming this camera is fitted with foam light seals, I suggest that said seals have degraded and bonded the camera back to the body. You will have to lever the back away from the catch end - Note that a 'pull' made from gaffer tape will sometimes allow one to pull the back open. Just make sure the 'pull' is an inverted T, so it will not be pulled off the before the back gives.

From your description I doubt if there is any film in the camera, alternatively it was already rewound before you put the camera into store.

Dragunov
Tinkerer
Username: Dragunov

Post Number: 128

Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 06:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

that's funky.

try pulling up the rewind knob try, then pulling back the door. the part that covers that latch should offer you plenty grip.

if you want to use this camera, you must replace the foam seals also. there's an article on this on the site.

and if you need any parts (try not to destroy anything... but I doubt you will, the ME super is very tough) I have loads of Pentax M series junker bodies.

good luck,
Dragunov

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration