Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Where Can I Repair My Kodak Folding 6... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Where Can I Repair My Kodak Folding 620 Junior ? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ozphoto
Tinkerer
Username: Ozphoto

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 01:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My favorite 620 folder is in need of some repairs to the film winder. I have taken it to my local repairer, but he won't touch it due to it using rivets.
It works perfectly apart from this, sharp, contrasty, no light leaks. Just an awful pain when the film refuses to wind on.
Thanks.
Nanette

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 453

Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 09:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In many cases small rivets can be replaced by small nuts and bolts, after drilling out the old fixings. You do not indicate what part is damaged/broken, so I cannot give you any ideas on a DIY fix. Do you have/know any model engineers in your neck of the woods? This type of repair is just plain and simple metal work - a competent model engineer would soon sort it out. Would offer to help you out, but we are not exactly a bike ride from each other!

Ozphoto
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Monday, November 17, 2008 - 07:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Glenn. The winder often seems to just wind and wind, without actually rotating the film spool. It is almost as if the winder is slipping, ie the outside is moving, but the inside isn't Maybe a gear problem? (Do they actually have them??). After maybe 5 minute (give or take) and a lot of pressing hard, it starts to wind on again. Rather frustrating as it is a fantastic camera. I'm using real 620 spools, not 120 cutdowns either.

Nickon51
Tinkerer
Username: Nickon51

Post Number: 40

Posted on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 03:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I thought the wind shaft was just a plain shaft through the case, through a one way clutch. Can you check the spool with no film and actually see where its slipping?
The only other thing I can think of is maybe the flats that couple the shaft to the knob are worn.
As the for the repair shop, I haven't heard of one in Oz that would tackle a 620. Maybe one of the camera restorers on this site would be your best bet.
Cheers
Greg

Glenn
Tinkerer

Post Number: 454

Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 05:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I also thought the shaft was just plain, and I can see no need for a clutch on a simple roll film camera. All you do is wind the film off one spool and onto another, still I could be wrong as my experience of 620 folders is limited. The '5 minute' description sounds as if the slipping bits tend to seize up after a while - getting warm due to friction? - and thus wind on the film. With back open, hold shaft and then turn winder knob/butterfly. This may allow you to pinpoint where the 'slip' is. In the case of a butterfly winder that is just riveted onto the shaft coming loose, I have secured these with a penetrating bearing lock (Loctite) - a couple of drops allowed to penetrate the loose riveted joint. take care not to let the liquid run into the bearing hole in the body - I know the shaft will be a good sloppy fit, but some of these products have great gap filling properties.

Mndean
Tinkerer
Username: Mndean

Post Number: 105

Posted on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 08:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Junior Six-20 that I pulled out of my collection to look at. It does wind one way only, so there is a mechanism in it to keep the winder from turning the "wrong" way. I don't know if it's a clutch or other mechanism, and mine is too pristine to do any checking.

Ozphoto
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 01:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry for the delay in replying to these posts. I've had a look at the actual winder itself and it appears to be fine. I also took off the handle on the winder and tried to clean the grime out just in case. It is possible that the winder doesn't always lock into the spool. (Tried it out over the weekend and it only happened once in 3 rolls). Could this indicate either worn flats (Nickon51) or worn spools?
Thanks again to everybody - you've been extremely helpful.

Glenn
Tinkerer

Post Number: 460

Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 05:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am working in the dark, as I have no real knowledge - model in my hands - of this camera. I would definitely look very closely at the spools, carefully examine and compare the 'keyholes' to look for variations. Also check the 'end play' when the spools are placed in the camera body. You are obviously looking to see if the shaped end of the winder shaft could sometimes slip in the spool 'keyhole' - say if the spool were to move away from the end of the shaft a little bit.

A second course of action would be to find a suitable tool that will allow you to hold the shaped end of the winder shaft and stop it rotating. Then gently see what happens when you try to turn the winder handle. If the winder mechanism is OK, you should not be able to rotate the handle in the 'wind on direction'.

Just try to eliminate causes of malfunction using simple means without stripping down. Sometimes this allows one to pin point a problem and save one a major jigsaw to reassemble!

Ozphoto
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 08:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Glenn. Will check as soon as this last roll is completed. :-)

Nickon51
Tinkerer
Username: Nickon51

Post Number: 43

Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 04:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have only got a couple of the earlier 620 folders, and I'm not really sure if the wind-on is the same as yours. The handle of the winder just looks like its pinned to the wind shaft. No flats and centre screw.
After I looked at these, I wondered whether you are pushing the shaft down far enough to engage the slots in the spool. There could be a build up under there, or maybe its just too under lubed to slot right down.
Also check the spool support at the bottom is not bent down too far.
Good luck

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration