Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Praktica MAT - mirror sticking up Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Praktica MAT - mirror sticking up « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Nineteenfingers
Tinkerer
Username: Nineteenfingers

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 06:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi folks.

I was given a Praktica MAT a few years back, it's served me well so far but the mirror has started to lock up after some shots.

To get it back down, means advancing to the next frame, unscrewing the lens and touching a small lever on the left as you look into the mirror cage from the lens mount.

It doesn't always stick up, and from what I can tell there's nothing obviously wrong with the foam, so I think it's a problem with linkage somewhere. A user on DeviantART who repairs cameras suggested a CLA may do the trick (I'm not sure if he's a member on here or not - he pointed me to this forum though)

I tried, at first, to remove the leatherette from the front panels to unscrew them, but as far as I can now tell, the front panels don't unscrew. Disassembling it is now proving a bit of a headache.

I've posted some photographs of my progress so far on my DeviantART account. Links provided below.

Can anyone help me out with getting into this thing? I've been having a great time trying to figure it all out, but now I'm getting to the stage where I want to get the thing working so I can start putting film through it again.

I'm aware that I need to use a spanner wrench to get the piece below the film rewind crank off (the two hole bolt) - other than that I'm at a bit of a dead end.

Rear view of the camera

Front view of the camera

Workings under the base plate

This is the lever I touch to get the mirror to drop after winding the film on to the next frame

The arrow marks a screw I removed (with difficulty, the head rounded off so I used a drill and removal tool to get it out)

ASA, Shutter Speed and Film Rewind Crank

The same with the rewind crank removed

Film Advance, film type selector and frame counter

The same after removing the cover of the film type dial

Close up of the same part but with the central screw removed

At this stage the camera still feels fairly solid.

Any advice, walkthroughs and the likes would be appreciated.
I've been trying to find a service manual for this camera, but all I've managed so far has been a user manual which isn't much help.

Thanks folks.

Nineteenfingers
Tinkerer
Username: Nineteenfingers

Post Number: 2

Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 06:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just a quick update - I've now removed the film advance lever and the dial above it. All that's left to do now is remove the 2 hole nut below the film rewind crank.

Once that's done I think the top plate should come off, after that I'll be winging it though - any input still appreciated.

Thanks again.

Martinsmith99
Tinkerer
Username: Martinsmith99

Post Number: 3

Posted on Thursday, November 27, 2008 - 01:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had the same problem on a spotmatic, but it only involved removing the bottom plate to fix it.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration