Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Konica III lens removal ?? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Konica III lens removal ?? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Reborn7
Tinkerer
Username: Reborn7

Post Number: 21

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 09:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm trying to remove the Hexanon 1:2 48mm lens from my Konica III from the inside (defective diaphragm) and I'm wondering if the retaining ring has a regular righthand-thread ?

There is no movement at all, and I fear to end up with broken glass !

Any hints ?

Sevo
Tinkerer
Username: Sevo

Post Number: 18

Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 04:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are you positively sure you must unscrew it from the film window? In most cameras of that age and type, there is a screw-on front plate underneath the front leather.

Reborn7
Tinkerer

Post Number: 22

Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 04:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

According to these postings I suppose so :

https://kyp.hauslendale.com/classics/forum/messages/6900/5754.html

if the Konica III is similar to the Konica IIIa ?

Sevo
Tinkerer
Username: Sevo

Post Number: 19

Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 05:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That are only instructions on getting at the shutter - you'll have to get at the lens first. And unscrewing the rear element through the film window rather than after removing the front plate assembly won't get you far.

Charlie
Tinkerer
Username: Charlie

Post Number: 184

Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 06:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't know anything about this camera but in the photo above I see a slotted screw. Are there more of them and can you determine what they are for?

Reborn7
Tinkerer

Post Number: 23

Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 12:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The large slotted ring seems to hold the entire lens, underneath there is a smaller ring that holds a lens element, then there is the diaphragm that is visible on the picture (shutter is located further ahead towards the front elements).

It's impossible to remove the small ring without unscrewing the large ring.

Scott
Tinkerer
Username: Scott

Post Number: 25

Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 07:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've never dismantled that particular model, but I have had my Konica S2 apart. As with most Japanese cameras of the late 1950s and early 1960s, that large ring-nut holds the whole shutter assembly to a squarish plate that is attached to the front of the camera with probably 4 screws (that are probably under the vinyl covering).

Myself, if the only problem was a sticking shutter or diaphram, I would start by removing the lens elements from the front, and also the back, without removing the whole shutter assembly. The rear elements can be unscrewed and removed from the back. Just be sure to put your lens spanner on the two notches of the thin metal ring which is the collar holding the actual lens elements, NOT on the big ring nut. Should be two narrow notches in the metal part closest to the glass. Those are seldom very tight.

Those ring nuts holding the shutter on are sometimes quite tight, but in my experience, I've never seen a left-handed threads on that particular ring nut.

If there are indeed no notches on the rear-most lens element housing, then I guess the whole shutter needs to come off before you can unscrew them. Or else take off the whole front plate with the shutter still attached.

If the aperture blades have come out of their tracks, then you'll need to completely disassemble the whole shutter.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration