Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Spotmatic F Metering Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Spotmatic F Metering « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Martinsmith99
Tinkerer
Username: Martinsmith99

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 03:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi

I've recently bought a spotmatic F that was suffering from a sticking mirror. I've fixed that and I'm about to replace the seals.

I have found a problem with the metering. Using an SMC 55/1.8 tak, there is a difference in open aperture and stopdown metering. Is it possible to calibrate them individually?

Thanks

Chris_sherlock
Tinkerer
Username: Chris_sherlock

Post Number: 9

Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 08:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day Martin,
Now I could be wrong, but I seem to recall you should not use stop-down on the Spotmatic F with an SMC lens, only open aperture. Stop-down was for Super Takumar and similar which lack the coupling for full aperture metering, at least that's what the manual says.
You would get an incorrect reading trying to use stop-down with an SMC lens.
Regards, Chris

Martinsmith99
Tinkerer
Username: Martinsmith99

Post Number: 2

Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 12:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris

Thanks for the reply. I've just downloaded the manual and it doesn't mention that this is not possible, but replies to my question on another forum indicate that this is correct.

So stopdown metering is is only for use with non SMC/S-M-C lenses?

Chris_sherlock
Tinkerer
Username: Chris_sherlock

Post Number: 10

Posted on Thursday, November 27, 2008 - 12:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day Martin,

Yeah, if your instruction manual is the same as mine , look on page 20. It says this...."The "down" position is normal for the stop-down lever on the lever on the Spotmatic F.

The "up" position for the stop-down lever is used only when:

1) checking depth of field.
2)using close-up accessories such as Bellows Unit,Extension Tubes, etc. which are inserted between the camera body and the open-aperture lens,
3)using four of the current SMC Takumar lenses
SMC Takumar 400mm f/5.6
SMC Takumar 500mm f/4.5
SMC Takumar 1000mm f/8
SMC Takumar Zoom 85 - 210mm f/4.5
4)using any stop-down metering lenses......."
Regards, Chris

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration