Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta G2 Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Minolta G2 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Krafty5260
Tinkerer
Username: Krafty5260

Post Number: 34

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 09:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Howdy All,
I recently received a Minolta G2 won on Ebay for .99 plus frt. It's clean, nice, when I put a battery in, the meter sprang to life. But, the shutter doesn't seem to be operating. I have the owner's manual that doesn't seem to offer any help. When I open the back and hold it up to the window, I cannot see any flash of light. I'd condemn the shutter except for an Agfa sensor I have that does the same thing and the previous owner showed me photos he took with the Agfa a few days before selling it.
Now, I haven't run film through the Agfa or the Minolta, because I'd like to see the shutter work with my own eyes. Am I missing something? Do these shutters work only with the film door closed, or in some other surrepticious way? Geez, sometimes I feel like such a dumb A%# when I think I'm learning something about cameras and then there's something else that makes no sense to me.
Any help is appreciated, as always.
thank you,
Michael

Msiegel
Tinkerer
Username: Msiegel

Post Number: 67

Posted on Thursday, November 27, 2008 - 03:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No expereince with both cameras (which Agfa Sensor is it? There were lots of different models)but you could try the following:
1) Does the shutter click when pressing the button?
2) Set the ASA to a medium value (100 or 200) and point the camera to a white wall indoors - this should force the camera to use lower speeds and wider apertures which makes it easier to actually see the shutter opening. Some automatic cameras of that time did not shoot when the light was not in the range their automatics covered.
3) Set the camera to flash mode when testing and/or to "B" (if available).
4) Hold it close to your eye so that you are not distracted from surrounding light and you can see easier if the shutter opens. F:22 e.g. is really a tiny opening and with fast shutter speeds easily overlooked.

I have none of the two cameras you mention but on my Agfa Iso Rapid the shutter release blocks when there is no film loaded and/or the back door open It is really blocked then and cannot be pushed. But that camera uses different kind of film cassetes so the transport mechanism and shutter cocking are disengaged when the door is open to allow loading.
All I wanted to say with that is that it is possible that your cameras have some sort of mechanism that prevents them from shooting without film but your manual should tell you. In most cases you should be able to shoot them back open because with many cameras you need to do this when loading them.

Not much help I fear.

Krafty5260
Tinkerer
Username: Krafty5260

Post Number: 35

Posted on Friday, November 28, 2008 - 06:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Quite to the contrary, your suggestions have given me some ideas I didn't have before. I always learn a lot from this group. All input is gratefully appreciated.
thanks again,
Michael

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration