Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Zorki-1 shutter speed test Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Zorki-1 shutter speed test « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Aford
Tinkerer
Username: Aford

Post Number: 52

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, November 28, 2008 - 02:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there some way to check the shutter speeds on my Zorki-1e (Leica-II copy) other than to run a film through it? This may have to be done several times before the speeds are correct.

The back of this camera does not open and film is loaded from the bottom. This makes it impossible to check shutter speeds in the normal way using a CRT monitor.

If the shutter curtains have to be replaced at some time how the heck are the speeds set-up?

Thanks - Alf

Dgillette4
Tinkerer
Username: Dgillette4

Post Number: 252

Posted on Friday, November 28, 2008 - 06:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Zorki can be tested with film and developing or if you have to replace curtains the body shell comes off to give acess to the curtain for testing. How deep are you going to get into repair? to set up curtain tension there are two screws held in place by two smsall srews that hold the setting in the bottom in side the body. To remove the shell you have to remove 4 front screws in the leatherette then remove the perimeter screws around the front and back ledge. Next you have to remove the 4 screws in the lense mouont. Make sure to use a felt tip to mark the top or up on the flange. Also (important) There probably will be calibration shims between flange and body they have to go back in the same orintation. There are 2 retainers that the 4 screws went into. Make sure they have the same orientation when replacing. To replace them when finished I hold one in position and screw it together loosely then rotate it into position for the other screw. You have to push the focus cam back to orient it . Good luck...Zorki is a really good camera and not too hard to work on. Don

Aford
Tinkerer
Username: Aford

Post Number: 53

Posted on Saturday, November 29, 2008 - 02:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for your reply Don - the shutter curtains appear to be in good condition so I shall only do a partial stripdown in order to clean and lubricate the gears. The Zorki looks to be in good condition except for a few scratches on the film pressure plate, not sure what to do about them.

I have just finished a CLA on a Zorki-4K so I have a little experiance working on these cameras.
Thanks and regards - Alf

Dgillette4
Tinkerer

Post Number: 253

Posted on Sunday, November 30, 2008 - 01:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You can buff the scratches. , When putting the pressure plate back in, I wrap my hemostats in rubber and grip the beveled edge of the plate, You almost have to have three hands he he. Those two springs have to be set in the cut away area too. Don

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 729

Posted on Sunday, November 30, 2008 - 04:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Pulling the shell off is easy enough to be a reasonable part of a shutter check... easier than shooting and developing a roll of film, certainly.

Dgillette4
Tinkerer

Post Number: 254

Posted on Monday, December 01, 2008 - 10:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It all depends how deep you want to get in camera repair. Don

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration