Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

How to take off shutter knob on Prakt... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » How to take off shutter knob on Praktica MLT3 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Esphotos
Tinkerer
Username: Esphotos

Post Number: 6

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, November 30, 2008 - 04:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello all,
I must admit that I am a total noob on camera repairs.

I have this Praktica MLT3 that needs its viewfinder cleaned. But I cannot open the top cover because I can't take off the shutter knob.
Can some one help me?

Cheers
Edward

Praktica

Lucas
Tinkerer
Username: Lucas

Post Number: 82

Posted on Sunday, November 30, 2008 - 08:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it the prism that is milky ? If it is do not bother, just get another one as the silver has degraded. The shutterspeed dial cover is glued on. If you pry it off with a needle it will get damaged. I got it off by giving it a quick blast with the flame of a micro torch, the glue softens and you can easily lift it off.If you do damage it let me know I am fairly certain I have a spare floating around somewhere

Steve_s
Tinkerer
Username: Steve_s

Post Number: 139

Posted on Sunday, November 30, 2008 - 09:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Normally on this type you can pry the speed dial off quite easily, levering at the film speed aperture with a plastic or wood spike. You can get the disc off the wind lever without marking it by glueing something like a flat headed rivet to it with contact cement.

Once the top is off it is easy to remove the eyepiece, if that is what is dirty. If the problem is brown defocussed areas at the edge of the field of view, then as Lucas said, don't bother, because it won't clean off!

Esphotos
Tinkerer
Username: Esphotos

Post Number: 7

Posted on Monday, December 01, 2008 - 05:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks guys.
The viewfinder is foggy. I don't think it's the eyepiece. As you can see the camera is in mint condition with good working light meter. That's why I want to rescure but I might get another one ...
Cheers
Edward

Steve_s
Tinkerer
Username: Steve_s

Post Number: 140

Posted on Monday, December 01, 2008 - 08:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If the prism is irreversibly blemished it is possible to change it if you can find a good one. Look for a spares camera where the meter battery has leaked, which effectively makes it a scrapper.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration