Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Fungus issue with Nikon Series E 100m... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Fungus issue with Nikon Series E 100mm f2.8 lens « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mattblack
Tinkerer
Username: Mattblack

Post Number: 4

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 02:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just picked up this lens and it's in pristine shape except for 3 microscopic dots of fungus inside the rear element.I would like to remove the glass and eliminate the spoors but cannot find any info. on the web.
Can anyone point me to a repair site or should I let sleeping dogs lay and use the lens as is.

Contax_crisis
Tinkerer
Username: Contax_crisis

Post Number: 14

Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 10:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There's some information on this site about using a UV light source (or Blacklight) to irradiate the fungus.

The lens may be easy to open up, however without the correct tools, it may flounder. Knowing fungus, its spores will spread over time, possibly infecting your camera, and then other lenses with the same. Perhaps it is best not to use until you can deal with the fungus, either by opening and cleaning with hydrogen peroxide and then alcohol before drying out thoroughly and closing up the lens.

This approach is probably overcautious, however consequently, I've not found any other lenses, than the ones which originally had fungus, stored by others.

Mattblack
Tinkerer
Username: Mattblack

Post Number: 5

Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 01:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My batting average with lens repair is about .700.If I could find a detailed view of the disassembly I might have a go at getting rid of the spoors.
In the mean time I will keep it sealed in a zip lock bag with silica and away from my other Nikon glass.

Nickon51
Tinkerer
Username: Nickon51

Post Number: 44

Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 03:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have an exploded view of this lens, plus a crossectional drawing. There are no dissasembly instructions.
PM your email and I'll scan them for you.

Cheers
Greg

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration