Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

It's Broken... My Hi-Matic 9 is rathe... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » It's Broken... My Hi-Matic 9 is rather broken « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Wyattmrminolta
Tinkerer
Username: Wyattmrminolta

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 04:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, so I'll give the whole story. I got my Hi-Matic 9 from my grandmother who got it at a garage sale. When I first got it, it seemed to work just fine. A few shutter releases later, the shutter stopped closing all the way. From all of these lovely forums, I've discovered that it's probably just gunked up and it needs to be cleaned out. I contacted some people about getting it fixed, and it was going to cost like $120, which is way too much considering I could buy a new one on ebay for like $10. Anyway... so I was really distraught, cause this little camera is cute and I was really looking forward to using it! I kept fiddling with it (dum dum dum) and I ended up somehow pushing down the "self-timer" button and now the whole thing is locked up: the shutter won't close, the film advance lever won't advance, the shutter button won't push down, and the film gear-rewind-release button thing is stuck. This makes me sad...

So, today I come across this wonderful little website and I learn that people actually take apart these cameras and fix them (I never thought I would even attempt to take this thing apart, it looks waaaay to complicated)... so, I'm willing to try very hard to follow instructions and whatever else, if I can get someone who knows how to do it to agree to help me out. I don't really have any tools, although I'm going to go buy some itty-bitty screwdrivers. Is there anyone here that can help me out, and not abandon me halfway through? I probably won't be able to get started on this until next weekend, when I'm done with finals and I'm out for the semester, but I would really like something to work on, and I think maybe, just maybe, this could work out!
Thanks in advance for any advice! Wyatt

Harryrag
Tinkerer
Username: Harryrag

Post Number: 21

Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 05:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If one knew exactcly how skilful the one on the other end is they would probably say, well, yes, let's give it a try. BUT, of course, nobody can expect to be given a blank cheque. So I guess any honest person will avoid promising NOT to abandon you midway.
On the one hand the Hi-M 9 is worth the effort, on the other hand it is definitely not suitable for beginners. Especially those who love tinkering, have enough cameras anyway and can get over the loss of a repair project easily really like more complicated stuff like those classic Minolta rangefinders. This is because they like the process of doing sth more demanding, they are a lot less interested in the item being repaired afterwards. If this wasn't so they would not start a repair of what more reasonable people like to call crap.
This is a very challenging camera, in almost any respect, and even professional repair people admit a CLA or repair is not as easy as with other cameras of the same vintage.
For a start you could search this forum's archives for the older Hi-Matics and find out first if you still dare a do it yourself repair. Please be aware that when sitting before your workbench you are on your own, and in most cases a novice's first go ends up with equipment FUBAR (that is a small heap of broken gadgets, levers, springs and screws in a plastic bag).
BTW, even in the US, where there a a zillion Hi-M9's, prices for fully functional ones are a shade higher in price than ten bucks!

Don_m
Tinkerer
Username: Don_m

Post Number: 9

Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 07:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

'Considering I could buy another one on ebay for like $10.00'-----

that needs a CLA for $120.00

there are a lot of $10.00 cameras out there for $10.00

Mndean
Tinkerer
Username: Mndean

Post Number: 107

Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 11:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I beg to differ. I've gotten many nice deals on ebay, and taking chances on another Hi-Matic 9 (don't work on it as your first camera, experience says it's too difficult) isn't really that bad a bet. Most of the cameras I've received from ebay have been in good working order. the only ones that needed CLA were a Primo Jr. and a prewar Nettar. I paid little for each. I also received a Minolta X-700 with lens and power winder off Craigslist for $20. Works perfectly.

What most cameras need is refoaming, which is not difficult to learn as good directions are provided with Jon Goodman's kit.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration