Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta Hi-Matic 7 film advance lever Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Minolta Hi-Matic 7 film advance lever « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Garyrents
Tinkerer
Username: Garyrents

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 09:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just found your great site.
I have 2 Hi-Matic 7 Minolta's with the same problem. The film advance lever does not return by itself which slows you down. If I take the top of the camera off, can I get to it to lube or something? I bought these both new in 1963 and they work great except for the above problem. Thanks for any help you might offer.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Harryrag
Tinkerer
Username: Harryrag

Post Number: 24

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 11:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have one of those early models (the light-sensitive cell in these look like a small glass vacuum tube and appear somewhat bluish) and found the ratchet of the transport mechanism to be completely stuck inside the serrated cogwheel down on the main shaft, that is the one you turn when you operate the winding lever. It turned out to be irreparable. If you replace it with parts from later models like the 7s or 9 you will have to swap the complete array (incl. the plastic film wind-up spool), those spares look a bit different, but they fit in perfectly.
But maybe the problem is only caused by a retracting spring that has come loose. One end of the coilspring is hooked on a pivot on the body, the other end is screwed to the shaft which goes right through to the bottom of the camera and may need a tiny (!) bit of watchmaker's oil where it is pivoted at the frame counter and, less probable, also at its lower end. Also if the winding lever is no longer straight it won't move easily. Rebending should be done carefully, cast aluminium is brittle metal!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration