Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Help! 8mm "streaks" in bright areas... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Help! 8mm "streaks" in bright areas « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ericdudeus
Tinkerer
Username: Ericdudeus

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 04:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello!

I'm really new to the 8mm film/projector world and I could use some help. I have a Eumig 610D projector and until a day or two ago it worked great. The problem it developed is that the film "streaks" on every frame especially is bright areas in the frames. It's noticeable in in all framerates . The shutter blades have been removed to aid in the telecine process, so the streaks are not flicker from that. It seems like it's an artifact of the motion of the film, but I'm only guessing. Has anybody heard of this? Any ideas are welcome. Thanks!

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 735

Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 09:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The shutter blades have been removed? Does this mean that there is nothing covering the film as it advances from one frame to the next?

Sevo
Tinkerer
Username: Sevo

Post Number: 24

Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 04:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The project is rebuilt into a telecine source?

If so, you'd better check first that the camera still does sync on the frozen frame and not on the transport phase.

If you should have residual motion of the frame during the period where he should be locked, there is something wrong with the transport. If nothing on the motors and gearing has broken down, it is usually a problem with the sprockets (most likely dirt or bending), or the film runs out of slack (which in its turn is usually caused by misadjusted spool friction brakes, a mucky audio capstan/pincher wheel, or some object in the film path).

Ericdudeus
Tinkerer
Username: Ericdudeus

Post Number: 2

Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 10:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is a telecine machine setup. A few days ago, the tranfers looked just fine, and then something went wrong. Now nearly every frame has bright area streaks.

It seems logical that the streaks are caused by the motion of the film, but is it possible that it's caused by light bleeding through.

From my understanding of this projector, it doesn't have the typical sprockets for advancing the film, it has a "claw" that hooks the film.

I can post small examples of what it used to look like and what it looks like now if anybody would like to see.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 737

Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 04:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is it possible that your synchronization has gone off?

Nickon51
Tinkerer
Username: Nickon51

Post Number: 47

Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 12:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Some pictures would help if the problem is still there.
It was common practice to use a pulldown claw rather than a sprocket. If there is no shutter then, as has been suggested already, you need to be sure that the frame is stationary when the telecine is scanning the frame.

I guess it could be a few other things like, film loops top and bottom too tight, gate pressure too loose, shutter speed on the scanner to slow.
Thats all I can think of.
Just one other thing, there were different gate sizes for 8mm, super 8 etc, have you got the correct gate and mask fitted?

Good luck

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration