Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Focusing problem Nikon FE Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Focusing problem Nikon FE « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Geepi
Tinkerer
Username: Geepi

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 05:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello, my first "real" camera has an annoying problem. When I set the focus on infinity on the lens the split screen indicates that far away objects (like mountains) are out of focus. The two parts of the split are aligned between infinity and 10m (30ft). I have checked the focusing screen and it seams to be correctly in place. Any idea where the problem might lie? can it be the mirror or prism? (the camera felt down once) I would like to repair it myself if I could.

Don_m
Tinkerer
Username: Don_m

Post Number: 8

Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 06:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Geepi-

Not that I really know much about Nikons-----but

when you set the lens at infinity and take a picture--is the picture in focus(ie. have you shot any film yet?) I would think you might have to start there.----have you tried another lens?

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 736

Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 07:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Look to see if there is anything preventing the mirror from going all the way down ... possibly a film chip or something on the stop under the edge of the mirror.

Checking another lens is always a good idea too, it will help you figure out whether you have a lens problem or a body problem.

Adrian
Tinkerer
Username: Adrian

Post Number: 209

Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 03:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'll second Rick's suggestion. I had a 28mm lens on an OM10 that did that - infinity was in focus at around 10 feet according to the marks on the focus ring. I knew it wasn't the camera (I'd used it for years), so it had to be the lens. Turns out someone had had it apart and not put the helicoid back on the correct start.

If that's the case, you need to believe your split screen, not the numbers on the lens.

Geepi
Tinkerer
Username: Geepi

Post Number: 2

Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 11:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thanks all three of you for your suggestions. I've already tried another lens and the camera shows the same problem. I will look if the mirror is correctly in place tomorrow, tonight it is to dark outside to check the focus.

Adrian
Tinkerer
Username: Adrian

Post Number: 210

Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 03:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmm. Wild guess here is it the right focus screen? I'll bow out now, as I'm clutching at straws.

Adrian

M_currie
Tinkerer
Username: M_currie

Post Number: 147

Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 08:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Since the FE has interchangeable focus screens, you should make sure not only that it's the right one, but that it's in correctly.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration