Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Rollieflex Film Counter Stuck, Repair... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Rollieflex Film Counter Stuck, Repair or other Options? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Byronfry
Tinkerer
Username: Byronfry

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 03:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am looking at buying a Rollieflex from a local shop. They are only looking for $60 for it so I thought it might be a good deal to pick up on. Apparently the issue is that the film counter doesn't work so you have no way to see what frame you are on. I was wondering if anyone has experience with fixing this? Another option I considered was cutting a hole in the back so it is possible to view the frame numbers on the film, bypassing the need for the counter.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Markus
Tinkerer
Username: Markus

Post Number: 85

Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 05:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Rolleiflex repair manual can be downloaded from this website (click on Repair Manual at the top of the page). I managed to get the frame counter on my Rolleicord fixed after investing some time into trying to understand how it works. The problem with the Rolleiflex you are looking at could be something simple, but if it involves replacing some worn parts in the winding mechanism you will have to source these parts. Even junker Rolleiflexes can be expensive and buying the parts separately can be ridiculously expensive, too (I once got a quote for a tiny door hinge of a Rolleicord from a repair shop that specializes in Rollei gear for around $50).

It really depends on what model Rolleiflex this is. If it is one of the more valuable ones in good cosmetic condition, it might even be worth sending it to one of the more reputable repairmen to get it fixed. On the other hand $60 is not all that much and perhaps you can get it going again, although the winding mechanism can be rather diffcult to figure out.

Finally, I would not cut a hole in the back (you'd also need to cut a hole into the film pressure plate).

- Markus

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 741

Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 10:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

$60 is a great price for almost any Rolleiflex; if it's a prewar model with an uncoated CZJ Tessar lens, then it's only a very good price. There's a fair chance that the frame counter is just gummed up and needs cleaning... of course, you're placing a $60 bet on it, don't gamble if you can't afford to lose.
rollei RH side panel

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration