Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Rolleicord winder slipping Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Rolleicord winder slipping « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Imatt
Tinkerer
Username: Imatt

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 06:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

I have a problem with my Rolleicord 5a that I was given recently. I was bought from a shop some time ago and is in pretty good condition.. except that I ran a film through it and the winding gear is slipping. Through investigation I have found that the take up spool, which drives the whole mechanism, is slipping against the gear that engages with it. This looks to me like the teeth are worn. Has anybody had any similar experiences they could share ?

Thanks,

imatt

Markus
Tinkerer
Username: Markus

Post Number: 86

Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 08:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it slipping only against an empty take-up spool? Some of my TLRs are doing that, so when I want to see if the film counter is working without sacrificing a roll of film, I use an empty spool and wind some masking tape around it (where the wheel from the counter mechanism is pushing against the spool). That usually makes it work without film.

Of course this won't help you if your problem occurs with film.

- Markus

Imatt
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 11:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the reply. I have tried thickening up the the take up spool with a strip of processed negative but to no avail. I haven't tried 120 film or masking tape yet, but I am not sure what they would show. The thing is, there are definately parts of the cog that repeatedly slip, whilst most seems ok. Do you know if it can be replaced easily ?

imatt

Markus
Tinkerer

Post Number: 87

Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 05:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you run a roll of 120 film through the camera, the cog will push against the backing paper. I would expect it to slip if you thicken up the spool with film, rather than something more like the backing paper.

I don't think that replacing this part would be too difficult, however, finding the part might be the hard part. If it is really not providing enough friction, you can always try to roughen it a bit.

- Markus

Imatt
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 03:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Markus,

I agree that film is not the right stuff really, I wanted to make the spindle surface continuous as a starter and see how it works when not under tension. I do like the idea of trying to rough the wheel up, or maybe sharpen the teeth would be better, but I can't see how I can get the part out of the camera at all. I have taken the top assembly off, but that is it. Everything else looks integral. Have you got any advise on how to take the thing apart ?, preferably without having the whole thing fall apart in my hands..

imatt

Markus
Tinkerer

Post Number: 88

Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 07:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

imatt,
to take it apart you'd have to take the cover off the side that has the winding mechanism. You'd need to peel the leatherette off, at least as much as is needed to get to the screws. Also, you need to take the winding knob off. (see the Rolleiflex repair manual on this site, click on Repair Manuals in the header of this page, there are some diagrams of the Rolleicord, that will be helpful).

I have never taken that particular gear out, but it drives some gears in the winding mechanism. Perhaps, that is where the problem lies. If the mechanism is jammed, your wheel will slip against the film.

- Markus

Imatt
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 11:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Markus,

Well I found some clipper oil and have worked a little on the transfer cogs which I can just get to without taking anything apart. It seems better, I will try a film tomorrow. I am reluctant to go much further.. getting the leatherette off seems tricky without ruining it. Here's hoping..

imatt

imatt

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration