Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Nikon FG Meter Problem Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2008 » Nikon FG Meter Problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mvit
Tinkerer
Username: Mvit

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 07:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a nice FG that has sat for several years and has always worked well up till now. When I try to meter it flashes 60 and 120 simultaniously in all modes but m-90 and bulb. It was stored with film in it,and the batteries were weak so I installed fresh batteries and new film but it still blinks. The exposure counter works(counts up) and the reset did function (resetting to s)when I loaded film. The aperture index lever under lens is moving properly. I have checked the battery compartment and found no evidence of corrosion. I have tried rapidly moving the mode dial in an effort to clean up the internal contacts but to no avail. I have tried the exposure comp button and different ISO settings also. The shutter does release and sounds normal but does not vary with different speed settings(sounds like its releasing at about 1/60 regardless of setting). Bulb works normally.
Does anyone know of a fix for this or what else I might try?

Thanks,
Mark

Reborn7
Tinkerer
Username: Reborn7

Post Number: 25

Posted on Saturday, December 20, 2008 - 03:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Assuming that an AI lens is mounted, the only case when both leds at 1/60 and 1/125 light up is when the frame counter hasn't reached the "1" mark yet.

The shutter is then automatically set at 1/90 sec.

Mvit
Tinkerer
Username: Mvit

Post Number: 2

Posted on Saturday, December 20, 2008 - 10:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The frame counter is moving and regestering different numbers as I advance the lever. The lens is mounted properly and the aperture diaphram is moving freeley. It is a Series E 50mm-1.8. I have also tried with my Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm which always used to work and results are the same. This leads me to think that the camera is not detecting the frame counter signal.Is there a way to clean this device? I really don't want to scrap the camera and I have nothing to loose to try fixing it myself.

Hovaness
Tinkerer
Username: Hovaness

Post Number: 67

Posted on Saturday, December 20, 2008 - 06:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is a switch near the frame counter that signals frame 1 to the meter circuit. You will need to take the top off to clean this switch.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration